Bullet proof locomotives, jackets for train drivers in NortheastJanuary 15th, 2009 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 15 (IANS) Bullet proof locomotives and protective jackets for crew members are among the security measures being undertaken for train services in the militancy-hit hill section of southern Assam that links Tripura and Mizoram, officials said here Thursday.”After a series of terrorist attacks, the railway ministry has decided to deploy two more battalions (2,000 personnel) of Railway Protection Force (RPF) in the militancy-hit hill section of southern Assam to ensure safe train movement,” an official of the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) said.
The train services on the Lumding-Badarpur-Silchar-Dharmanagar-Agartala section had been intermittently stopped during the past one year due to rebel attacks, affecting normal train services and transportation of essentials to Tripura, Mizoram, Manipur and parts of southern Assam.
“The trains will run with bullet proof locomotives and the drivers and other crew of the trains will wear bullet proof jackets while a huge contingent of RPF would also be deployed soon,” the official said.
Activists of the separatist group Dima Halam Daogah (Jewel faction) killed 12 people, including a train driver, last year. Occasionally the DHD and other rebels attacked the trains in these routes.
“Due to the frequent suspension of railway services, trade and business and transportation of commodities had been enormously affected in southern Assam, Tripura, Mizoram and Manipur,” said Tripura transport minister Manik Dey.
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011
- Landslides disrupt rail services to Northeast - Jun 04, 2012
- Rail services in northeast restored partially - Oct 07, 2010
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Train services yet to be restored in northeast - Jun 10, 2012
- Heavy security as train services resume in Assam hills - Aug 01, 2008
- Passenger trains to run again through restive southern Assam - Jun 23, 2009
- 'Another month to restore train services to northeast' - Jul 02, 2012
- 10 bombs found on Assam railway bridge - Nov 09, 2011
- Northeast ignored in rail budget: Tripura minister - Feb 27, 2011
- Railway services in northeast partially restored - Jul 25, 2012
- Train services resume in terror-hit south Assam - Jun 04, 2009
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Assam asked to step up security in terror-hit region - May 28, 2009
Tags: agartala, assam, battalions, bullet proof jackets, crew members, dey, locomotives, manik, manipur, militancy, nfr, northeast frontier railway, railway services, rpf, separatist group, train driver, train drivers, train movement, train services, transport minister