Buddhists upset over death of sacred fish inside Bodhgaya temple pondJanuary 9th, 2011 - 8:51 pm ICT by ANI
Bodhgaya, Jan 9 (ANI): Buddhists in Bihar’s Bodhgaya city fear that things could get worse following the death of a sacred ‘golden fish’ inside the temple pond due to freezing temperature on Sunday.
Golden fish represent good fortune for Buddhists and their passing has rattled the monks who are very concerned about what it may presage for the future.
According to ‘View on Buddhism’, the golden fish symbolises that ‘living beings who practice dharma need have no fear to drown in the ocean of suffering, and can freely migrate (chose their rebirth) like fish in the water’.
One of the monks, Priyapal Bante, wants the Temple Management Committee to take steps to preserve the fish just as they do with the sacred Bodhi tree - the tree that Buddha achieved enlightenment.
“The way the sacred tree, which is known for the longevity of Buddhist Monks, is looked after by scientists and experts from the Dehradun-based Forest Research Institute, similarly the management committee of the temple should deploy experts for conservation of fish and prevention of water pollution,” said Bante.
“It is very cold here, and many fish died because of it,” added Trishi, a visitor from Arunachal Pradesh. (ANI)
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Security tightened in Bodhgaya following looming Maoist threat - Jan 19, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Meditation under the sacred 'Bodhi Tree' cancelled due to cold wave - Jan 18, 2010
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
Tags: bante, bihar, bodhi tree, buddhism, buddhist monks, buddhists, dehradun, dharma, fish in the water, forest research institute, golden fish, good fortune, longevity, management committee, prevention of water pollution, rebirth, sacred fish, sacred tree, symbolises, temple pond