Buddhists pray in Bodh Gaya for world peaceNovember 3rd, 2008 - 8:45 pm ICT by ANI
By Surya Pratap Singh
Bodh Gaya, Nov.3 (ANI): A group of Buddhist monks in Bodh Gaya conducted prayers for the world peace in a special annual ceremony, which was attended by about 100 visiting Buddhist devotees from Thailand on Sunday.
Monks chanted Mantras to seek peace across the world at the ceremony called Kathin Cheeva Daan.
The occasion also drew attraction of the devotees when monks created a tall Lord Buddha statue in just 12 hours time from dawn to dusk.
“According to our religion, once in a year during this period we are supposed to come here at Bodhgaya. This year we have made an idol of Lord Gautam Buddha, and we will be praying for world peace too,” said Paulsilpa Rattnachudech, a lecturer in Buddhist university, Thailand.
Devotees from Thailand come to Bodhgaya during Chaturmas a period that last four months when the monks camp at one place and rarely step out of their monastery.
“All Buddhist monks from world over gather at Bodhgaya during this period. We come here and meditate and seek for the blessing of Lord Gautam Buddha,” said Payap Shinawatra, a Buddhist from Thailand.
Bodhgaya is one of the important pilgrim centres for the Buddhists. It is a place where Gautam Buddha attained salvation, and since then it has become a sacred place for the Buddhists from all over the world.
During this period all the devotees donate food, clothes and other useful things to these monks. And the local residents organise a special ceremony for monks.
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace at Bodh Gaya - Nov 08, 2008
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Buddhist monks in Bodh Gaya beg for alms to spread universal peace message - Jan 01, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Buddhist monks demand renewable energy in Bodhgaya - Oct 20, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: bodh gaya, buddha, buddha statue, buddhist monks, buddhist university, buddhists, dawn to dusk, devotees, four months, gautam buddha, lecturer, lord buddha, monastery, pilgrim centres, pratap singh, prayers, sacred place, surya, university thailand, world peace