Buddhists in India protest against Burma’s military juntaNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
In Leh town, hundreds of people today marched through the streets protesting against the killing of monks in Myanmar.
“Today the people of Ladakh organised a very big rally to protest against the recent destruction of the Buddha statue in Swat valley by the fundamentalist in that country. Secondly, the killing of Buddhist monks in Myanmar by the dictators of that country,” said Tashi Chotak, one of the protestors.
Meanwhile, in Mumbai several monks took out a rally to show their solidarity with the people of Myanmar.
“We, the Buddhist of India, are demanding that General Than Shwe, (military dictator of Myanmar) immediately hand over power to the people of Myanmar, so that freedom and democracy should come to Myanmar immediately,” said Bhante Dharaviro Mahathero, general secretary of All India Monks Council.
Although New Delhi initially supported Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy in Myanmar, it changed its strategy in the early 1990s to court the military regime in what is seen as an effort to counter China’s influence there.
The current protests in Yangon started in reaction to shock fuel price rises and have welled into a mass uprising against 45 years of military rule led by monks, the moral core of the Buddhist nation. (ANI)
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Suu Kyi released -- finally (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Myanmar president meets UN chief - Apr 30, 2012
- An India-educated democracy beacon in Myanmar - May 29, 2012
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks by phone with Suu Kyi - Dec 18, 2010
- Protest against upcoming Myanmar polls in New Delhi - Nov 03, 2010
- LSR students hail Suu Kyi's much-awaited victory - Apr 02, 2012
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush welcomes the release of Aug San Suu Kyi - Nov 14, 2010
- Suu Kyi to help Myanmarese migrants in Thailand - May 30, 2012
- Suu Kyi wins landmark Myanmar by-polls (Roundup) - Apr 01, 2012
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian foreign secretary meets Suu Kyi - Jun 22, 2011
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- Cameron invites Suu Kyi to visit Britain - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: aung san suu kyi, buddha statue, buddhist monks, buddhist nation, democracy, general than shwe, India, leh town, mass uprising, military dictator, military junta, military regime, military rule, myanmar, protest, rally, san suu kyi, seen hundreds, swat valley, town hundreds