Buddhists hold Krodhi-Kali prayers in Bodh GayaNovember 21st, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Bodhgaya, Nov 21 (ANI): Thousands of Buddhists from across the world congregated at Bodh Gaya for Krodhi-Kali ceremony for world peace on Thursday.
Nuns and monks attired in the traditional Buddhist costumes played instruments made out of human bones to the accompaniment of special prayers.
Devotees said attending the ceremony gave them a lot of satisfaction.
“This is our second annual Krodhi-Kali ceremony. Last year also we had a similar event which went very successfully, and everybody of us satisfied and we went back to our country with full satisfaction,” said Nangye, a Bhutanese monk.
Apart from India and Bhutan, a large number of monks from many South-Asian countries attended the ceremony.
“We have gathered here to pray for world peace and non-violence. Moreover, organizing and taking part in such a prayer in this holy place is more beneficial for all of us,” said Kempo Longyang Sengye, another Bhutanese monk. Buddhist scriptures describe Bodh Gaya as the “Navel of the Earth”, and 100,000 pilgrims and tourists visit every year, packing the town and its Mahabodhi Temple.
An ancient pipal tree or sacred fig grows at the back of the temple, said to be a descendent of the one Buddha sat under for three days and nights in the sixth century BC, before finding the answers he sought under a full moon. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Nitish Kumar meets Bhutanese PM in Bodh Gaya - Sep 26, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Monks in Bodh Gaya offer special prayer for world peace - Jan 28, 2009
- Bhutanese PM attends annual Mahabodhi Society meet - Sep 25, 2010
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace at Bodh Gaya - Dec 02, 2008
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: accompaniment, buddha, buddhist scriptures, buddhists, devotees, full moon, gaya, human bones, longyang, mahabodhi temple, monk, navel, nuns and monks, pilgrims, pipal tree, prayers, sacred fig, sixth century, south asian countries, world peace