Buddhists from Bhutan offer prayers for world peace at GayaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:28 am ICT by admin
Followers of Mahayana sect of Buddhism believe in tantric practices, and the sect offers important prayer known as ‘Kalkrodhi’. Goddess Vajrakanya is worshipped during the special prayer.
Interestingly, the devotees play two musical instruments one made of human bones and the other of human skin.
Special prayers were held for destruction of evil spirits and for the world peace.
“We are offering these prayers for world peace. There are believers of Hinayana and Mahayana, we believe in tantrayana. We are offering these prayers for peace in Bhutan and rest of the world. We, ourselves experience immense peace after these prayers,” said Singewange, a lama from Bhutan.
The three-day prayers started on Saturday under the Bodhi tree in the holy city. he Bodhi tree is considered sacred because Lord Buddha attained enlightenment while sitting under the tree.
Lord Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, was born a prince at Lumbini in Nepal over 2,600 years ago. He attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya in Bihar. (ANI)
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Bihar Police confirm terror threat to Dalai Lama event - Jan 07, 2012
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: attained enlightenment, bhutan, bodh gaya, bodhi tree, evil spirits, founder of buddhism, hinayana, human bones, human skin, lord buddha, lumbini, mahayana, prayers, religious organisation, sect, special prayer, tantric practices, world peace