Buddhist monks protest disruption of prayers at Bodhgaya during President’s visitFebruary 16th, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by admin
Bodh Gaya, Feb 16 (ANI): Buddhist monks in Bodh Gaya have raised a stink over prayers being disrupted at the Mahabodhi Temple on Friday because President Pratibha Patil was visiting the area.
The monks were conducting a ten-day long chanting of the scriptures of the ‘Tipitaka’, the collected teachings of Lord Buddha written in Pali. They also protested against pictures of the President and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar being placed above Lord Buddha in a poster, which they termed as disrespect to the lord.
During her visit, President Patil said the teachings of Lord Buddha should be adopted by all humans.
“The path shown by Lord Buddha to the whole of humanity holds significance for us even today. Mahatma’s movement was based on the principles of Ahimsa and Love. He showed the path of knowledge to the entire world,” Patil said.
The site of the Mahabodhi Temple is the place where Lord Buddha is said to have enlightenment.
Patil, who is on her first official visit to Bihar since assuming office in July 2007, will also visit places of historical importance at Nalanda, Bodh Gaya and Vaishali, besides the Gurudwara Patna Sahib in Patna. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Bhutanese PM attends annual Mahabodhi Society meet - Sep 25, 2010
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Myanmar ruler arrives in India - Jul 25, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Eleven-day Buddhist chanting prayer ceremony begins at Bodh Gaya - Dec 01, 2008
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama to visit Bodh Gaya in January - Nov 20, 2009
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- High security for Dalai Lama's visit to Bodh Gaya - Jan 03, 2010
- Buddhist monks preach non-violence in Maoist-hit villages - Nov 23, 2009
- Buddhists demand holy town status for Bodh Gaya - Jan 01, 2010
Tags: ahimsa, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, buddha, buddhist monks, chief minister, disrespect, disruption, enlightenment, entire world, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, mahatma, nitish kumar, patna sahib, president pratibha patil, scriptures, stink, tipitaka, vaishali