Buddhist monks pray for world peace at Bodh GayaNovember 8th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Nov 8 (ANI): Buddhist monks from across the country participated in a sacred ceremony at Bodh Gaya, one of the most important pilgrim centre of the Buddhists, and prayed for world peace.
The monks made an offering of 500 meters of cloth to Lord Buddha and also prayed for world peace at Bodhgaya, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment.
Chanting hymns, the monks carried the long sheet of cloth in a ceremony called ”Cheeva Dan” (offering of monk’’s robe) on Friday.
“During Mahayana, Lord Buddha was covered with 500 meters of cotton. Keeping that in mind we have organised this procession, said Pragyadeep, treasurer of All India Bhikchu Sangh.
It is a sacred occasion and will give Buddhists an opportunity to participate in the ceremony,” added Pragyadeep.
The sacred cloth was later cut into pieces and distributed among the devotees.
Lord Buddha attained enlightenment while doing penance under a Bodhi tree (Tree of Enlightenment) near a temple in Bodh Gaya.
Lord Buddha, founder of Buddhism was born a prince at Lumbini in Nepal over 2,600 years ago. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- Eleven-day Buddhist chanting prayer ceremony begins at Bodh Gaya - Dec 01, 2008
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: bihar, bodh gaya, bodhgaya, bodhi tree, buddha, buddhist monks, buddhists, devotees, enlightenment, founder of buddhism, hymns, lord buddha, lumbini, mahayana, penance, pilgrim centre, procession, sacred ceremony, sacred cloth, world peace