Buddhist devotees participate in 20th anniversary celebrations of Buddha statue in GayaNovember 22nd, 2007 - 4:42 pm ICT by admin
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Nov 22 (ANI): Indian and Japanese Buddhist devotees participated in 20th anniversary celebrations of the 80-feet-tall Lord Buddha statue in Daijokyo Buddhist temple in Gaya .
The foundation stone for Lord Buddha statue was placed in 1986. On November 18, 1989, the statue was inaugurated in Bodh Gaya, a city in Bihar s Gaya District by the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
The statue was inspired by a Buddha statue in Japan .
“There is huge statute of Lord Buddha in Japan and this statue was inspired by that statue,” said Bhante Bodhipal, Chief Priests of Mahabodhi temple.
Hundreds of Buddhist devotees arrived here after visiting various Buddhist religious pilgrimage centres like Sarnath, Lumbini, Kushinagar, Rajgraha, Vaishali and Nalanda to attend the celebrations.
A holy flame was also lit on the occasion with the help of sunlight and also with the flames brought from seven various Buddhist pilgrim centres across the world.
Bihar Governor R S Gavai also attended the function on Wednesday. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Nation celebrates Buddha Purnima - May 27, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Kushinagar in UP to have international airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Bihar beckons: NRI shooting documentary with Hollywood crew - Jan 19, 2011
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: 20th anniversary, anniversary celebrations, bihar governor, bodh gaya, buddha statue, buddhist temple, dalai lama, devotees, gaya district, holy flame, japan, lord buddha, lumbini, mahabodhi temple, pilgrim centres, pilgrimage centres, religious pilgrimage, sarnath, tibetan spiritual leader