Buddhist devotees from Thailand take-up monk-hood in Bodh GayaNovember 8th, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by ANI
Bodh Gaya, Nov 8 (ANI): Two Buddhist devotees from Thailand, on a visit to India, have taken -up monk-hood in Bodh Gaya on Saturday.
They were accompanied by hundreds of devotees who had come with them from Thailand.
The devotees took up monk-hood under the Bodhi Tree amid the chanting of sacred hymns.
Bante Achan Vichian, a Buddhist Monk said that if one takes up monk-hood he can lead a peaceful and successful life.
For some of the layman who wants to become a monk we believe that if you come under the Bodhi Tree your life will be peaceful and successful so that’’s why two Thai Buddhist devotees who wanted to become monks came to India and made a function for the audience, said Vichian.
They were ushered into monk-hood with full religious ceremonies conducted by Bodh Dharam gurus.
A Buddhist is one who takes refuge in the three jewels: the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists upset over death of sacred fish inside Bodhgaya temple pond - Jan 09, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks begin eight-day prayer session for peace in Bodhgaya - Dec 15, 2010
- Bihar to approach Sri Lanka for Bodhi tree sapling - Jun 28, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Valuable letters handed over to Sarnath museum - Nov 22, 2010
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012