Buddhadeb questions existence of RamDecember 7th, 2007 - 9:12 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata/Ahmedabad, Dec 7 (ANI): West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has questioned the historical existence of Lord Ram thus opening a Pandoras Box in connection with the Sethu Samundram project.
Where is the historical proof of Rams birth? If Ramayana is history and Ram is a historical figure then where is the proof, Bhattacharjee said while speaking at a here to mark the 15th anniversary of the demolition of Babri Masjid.
Reacting to Bhattacharjee’s remarks, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said in Ahmedabad that Ram is a matter of faith for majority of Indians.
I believe it could be personal view of the leftists and we are fully in disagreement with this view, said Jaitley.
Few months back, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, a self claimed atheist, had said the existence of Lord Ram was a fallacy as tall as the Himalayas.
His comments had irked Hindu groups over the controversial Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project (SSCP).
The project will dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic for ships moving from Arabian Sea to Bay of Bengal.
However, Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollars project, saying it would destroy the ‘holy’ Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka. (ANI)
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Hindu activists to protest against Sethu Samundram in New Delhi today - Dec 30, 2007
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned for the day (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Telangana, Sethusamudram disrupt Lok Sabha - Mar 29, 2012
- Hindu activists paint Lord Rama with blood to protest against Sethu Samundram project - Dec 16, 2007
- Ferry service between Tuticorin-Colombo flagged off - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: 15th anniversary, arabian sea, bay of bengal, bhattacharjee, bjp leader, canal project, chief minister, freight traffic, hindu groups, lord ram, matter of faith, narrow strip, pandoras box, personal view, ram sethu, ramayana, rameswaram, sethusamudram, shipping canal, west bengal