Buddha relics unearthed in J-KApril 21st, 2010 - 8:20 pm ICT by ANI
Amvaran (Jammu and Kashmir), Apr 21 (ANI): The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) recently unearthed a Buddha Stupa in Jammu and Kashmir’s Amvaran village.
It is reported to be the seventh site in the world where relics of the Buddha have been found.
The stupa is said to have been erected by the Kushana Empire in the first century BC.
“This site was established around first century BC in Kushana period, and the relic, tooth relic of Lord Buddha was deposited at the time, which we have found in the reliquary,” said ASI archaeologist A K Khanna.
“The reliquary found in the stupa contain part of a tooth, some ashes, then there are coins, along with 38 foils of gold and there are beads,” he added.
The digging revealed many idols, gemstones, bronze and copper artifacts, and silver and gold foils. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama to visit Kashmir excavation site - Nov 14, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics - Feb 11, 2012
- Buddhist relics to be housed in Orissa museum - Apr 25, 2011
- Proposed museum to house Lord Buddha's bone relics: Kumari Selja - Mar 08, 2011
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Gupta empire era sites restored in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 19, 2011
- More than 240,000 cultural relics unearthed in China - Nov 29, 2010
- Ancient Persian cairn wall found in Iran - Aug 29, 2011
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- John the Baptist's remains may be in 5th century Black Sea monastery - Aug 05, 2010
- Himachal's abandoned Hul mines get global attention - May 01, 2011
- Temple discovery reveals Indian Buddhism's spread to China - May 08, 2012
Tags: archaeological survey of india, artifacts, beads, buddha, buddha relics, buddha stupa, coins, copper, empire, gold foils, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lord buddha, reliquary, silver and gold, tooth relic