BSP MLA under arrest for allegedly killing engineer near LucknowDecember 25th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Dec.25 (ANI): Uttar Pradesh Police arrested the Bahujan Samaj Party MLA from Auraiya, Shekhar Tewari, on Wednesday for allegedly killing Manoj Kumar Gupta, an executive engineer of the Public Works Department near State capital.
The BSP MLA Tewari, who already has many court cases for murder and abduction pending against him, was arrested near Raniya in Kanpur district.
Manoj Kumar Gupta, was reportedly battered to death, allegedly by the MLA and his two henchmen, for refusing to pay contribution for celebrating birthday of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and BSP chief Ms.Mayawati next month, a charge Bahujan Samaj Party has denied.
Meanwhile, the Director-General of Police Vikram Singh during a news conference on Wednesday night stated that the MLA had been taken to the Akbarpur police station for interrogation. Mr. Singh said the FIR named two PWD engineers, S.K. Tyagi and Tyagi, for alleged involvement in the murder.
State Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told reporters here that an FIR had been lodged against the MLA under Sections 342, 323, 457, 364 and 302 of the IPC. The government would book him under the Gangsters Act. However, charges of extortion were yet to be proved, he said.
The U.P. Engineers Association, meanwhile, has demanded a compensation of Rs.25 lakh (2.5 million rupees) for the victims family and security for engineers.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh’’s main opposition Samajwadi Party has given a public call for a statewide shutdown on Thursday in protest of lynching of the government engineer.
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh minister named in attempt to murder case - Jun 02, 2011
- BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest - Jul 05, 2011
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's gang rape - Jan 12, 2011
- Slain engineer's family spurns compensation, BSP MLA booked (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh cop in police remand for engineer's murder - Jul 29, 2009
- Mayawati officers broker BSP legislator-engineer peace - Feb 23, 2010
- Widows will be protected, given justice: Supreme Court - Jan 17, 2011
- Custody of girl raped by BSP legislator extended in theft case - Jan 14, 2011
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash - Jul 25, 2009
Tags: bahujan samaj party, cabinet secretary, chief minister, court cases, engineers association, executive engineer, extortion, gangsters, government engineer, gupta, henchmen, lucknow, mla, mr singh, rupees, shashank, state cabinet, tewari, tyagi, vikram singh