BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims (Lead)June 23rd, 2011 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The over three lakh pilgrims to the Amarnath shrine this year need not worry about keeping in touch with their kin. The BSNL is promising mobile phone connectivity all the way up to the 13,500-foot cave.
“Customers from any other state having BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd) or MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd) post-paid connection with roaming facility and BSNL mobile customers from Jammu and Kashmir will have almost continuous mobile service right up to the holy cave,” the BSNL said.
Mobile tower at the base camp of Baltaal, Domail and Chandanwadi were made operative in May, well ahead of the annual pilgrimage, to help the army, paramilitary forces, Shri Amarnath Shrine Board and other organisers.
BSNL has also made special arrangements at the base camp to provide pre-paid mobile connections. Customers have to provide passport size photos as well as identity and address proof.
The annual pilgrimage is set to begin June 29.
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Northeast pre-paid mobiles allowed roaming facilities - May 25, 2011
- BSNL sets up mobile towers along Amarnath route - Jul 08, 2010
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
- Mobile services for Amarnath pilgrims from this year: Sachin Pilot - May 19, 2010
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- MTNL, BSNL in talks to synergise services - May 18, 2011
- Sachin Pilot launches mobile services at Holy Amarnath cave - Jul 08, 2010
- BSNL, MTNL lost subscribers post mobile number portability - Aug 05, 2011
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: amarnath pilgrims, amarnath shrine, bharat sanchar nigam, bharat sanchar nigam ltd, domail, holy cave, jammu, lakh, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, mobile connections, mobile coverage, mobile customers, mobile service, mobile tower, mtnl, paramilitary forces, passport size photos, pilgrimage, shrine board