BSF personnel detained Rajkhowa: P ChidambaramDecember 9th, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 9 (ANI): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram today said Arabinda Rajkhowa, the chairman of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) was detained by the Border Security Force (BSF) on the India-Bangladesh border, and later handed over to the Assam police.
Replying to the supplementaries during the question hour in the Rajya Sabha, Chidambaram said Rajkhowa, the rebel ULFA leader would be treated with dignity when talks take place for peace with them.
“If there is an offer of talks, we will be happy to hold talks,” Chidambaram said adding the Centre was willing to talk to all insurgent groups of North East including ULFA if they lay down their arms and give up demand for sovereignty.
The Home Minister added that on receiving the information that the BSF has arrested two to three people, the police personnel from Assam reached the spot and took them into custody.
On talking about the other insurgent groups in Assam, Chidambaram said the government has appointed representatives to hold talks with them to accelerate the peace process. (ANI)
- Bangladesh hands over three ULFA rebels - Feb 05, 2011
- ULFA splits into talk and anti-talk factions - Nov 20, 2011
- 700 militants surrender arms in Assam (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Ceasefire agreement with ULFA soon: Chidambaram - Jul 13, 2011
- ULFA holds peace talks, says meeting positive - Aug 05, 2011
- Talks only after insurgents lay down arms: Chidambaram (Lead) - Dec 09, 2009
- Rajkhowa, deputy and families surrender in Meghalaya - Dec 04, 2009
- Talks collapse, Rajkhowa, other ULFA leaders arrested (Lead) - Dec 04, 2009
- Barua group gives ULFA 3 months to 'return to active duty' - Apr 30, 2012
- ULFA, government begin Assam peace talks (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2011
- Dramatic surrender by India's most wanted - ULFA chief Arabinda Rajkhowa (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2009
- ULFA to open unconditional talks from Feb 10 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Jubilation as ULFA chairman Rajkhowa walks out of jail (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: assam police, bangladesh, border security force, bsf, dignity, India, New Delhi, other insurgent groups, p chidambaram, peace process, rajya sabha, sovereignty, ulfa, union home minister, united liberation front