Brothers get a Rakhi on their wrists on Raksha BandhanAugust 16th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 16 (ANI): Sisters across the country today tied Rakhi on the wrists of their brothers as a token of love wishing them prosperity and happiness, while the latter on their pledge to protect their sisters” honour.
The official residence of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh swarmed with children who tied Rakhi on his wrist. Women and young girls visited the residence of Leader of Opposition, L K Advani to celebrate the occasion.
Small children presented them with flowers and were given sweets and chocolates in return.
The younger generation looks at it more as a time to get together and have fun.
“I really enjoy this occasion because this marks the love between a brother and sister. It’’s basically a bond that ties us,” Mansha Kapoor said after tying rakhi to her brother.
Tradition has it the brother gives his sister either money or a gift and the markets register brisk sales during this period.
The festivals origin dates back several centuries to the time when an upper caste Hindu queen Rani Roopmati, in times of war, sent a thread to Mughal ruler Humayun, requesting protection from the enemy.
King Humayun accepted the thread and honoured her request. Since then, the tradition continues in most of the families. (ANI)
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 02, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Raksha Bandhan (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 24, 2010
- Rakhi celebrated in Pakistan - Aug 12, 2011
- Shalini Arora of Pavitra Rishta fame believes Rakhi is more than a piece of thread - Aug 22, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with gaiety - Aug 13, 2011
- Nitish, Lalu, Paswan rakhis a hit in Bihar - Aug 23, 2010
- School kids send 60,000 handmade rakhis to soldiers - Jul 28, 2011
- President greets nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 23, 2010
- Fun, cheer on Raksha Bandhan in Lucknow - Aug 13, 2011
- Women to get free bus rides on Rakhi day - Aug 01, 2012
- Forget threads and beads - invest in gold, diamond rakhi (Feature) - Aug 12, 2011
- Mamata ties rakhi on officials, journalists - Aug 13, 2011
- Musical or cartoon rakhi - take your pick this Raksha Bandhan (Raksha Bandhan is on Aug 2) (With Images) - Jul 27, 2012
- Meira Kumar celebrates Rakhi with differently abled children (With Images) - Aug 05, 2009
Tags: brisk sales, brother and sister, chocolates, dr manmohan singh, enemy king, hindu, honour, l k advani, leader of opposition, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prosperity, rakhi, raksha bandhan, rani, ruler, upper caste, young girls, younger generation