Broke Zardari govt to make journos pay while accompanying him on foreign toursSeptember 11th, 2008 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad , Sept 11 (ANI): Newly-elected Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has reportedly decided to cut down the size of entourage that would accompany him on his foreign visits. The move is seen as a cost-cutting exercise in the wake of the deep economic crisis Pakistan is going through.
According to the Daily Times, Zardari will also take a usual commercial flight on foreign visits instead of a separate aircraft.
Besides, the new President will also cut down on the number of media persons accompanying him to foreign trips.
It is likely that the Pakistan government will no longer bear the expense on media teams, and any media outlet that wishes to cover the visit is likely to be asked to spend its own money, so that the taxpayer is not burdened, as has been happening for the last 35 years, said the paper.
Later this month, when he flies to New York , Zardaris maiden visit as President of Pakistan, for the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, he will be accompanied by a small number of relevant people and he would be taking a regular, commercial PIA flight.
Over the years, foreign visits by governmental heads have incurred hefty costs to the national exchequer due to the extravagantly large size of the accompanying contingents, added the paper. (ANI)
- Hina Rabbani Khar may be sacked: Report - Apr 10, 2012
- Bansal to be minister-in-waiting for Zardari - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistani airline sacks its most expensive employee - Jul 11, 2012
- Pentagon debunks reports of US ships being deployed off India for Obama visit - Nov 06, 2010
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
- Table for 20 at PM's luncheon for Zardari (With Image) - Apr 08, 2012
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
- Implement Pakistan airlines reform plan: Zardari - Oct 01, 2011
- President's last foreign trip: 12 days in Africa - Apr 09, 2012
- Tight security in place in Delhi, Ajmer for Zardari visit - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistan, Sri Lanka to increase trade to over $2 bn - Feb 11, 2012
- Pakistan cabinet may be reshuffled, expanded - Apr 13, 2012
- Khar, Zardari's daughters likely to come to India - Apr 06, 2012
- Visit Pakistan, Zardari to tell Manmohan - Apr 08, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 35 years, asif ali zardari, commercial flight, economic crisis, entourage, exercise, maiden visit, media persons, money, new president, pakistan government, president of pakistan, separate aircraft, sept 11, united nations, united nations general assembly