BRO begins snow clearance on Leh-Manali HighwayMarch 2nd, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by ANI
Manali, Mar 2 (ANI): The Border Road Organization (BRO) on Monday has begun to clear the snow on the Leh-Manali Highway.
The 475-kilometer highway connecting Manali to Leh, was closed during the winter due to snowfall at the Rohtang Pass and Baralacha Pass in Lahaul-Spiti.
Three teams, armed with the latest snow-clearing machinery and bulldozers, have started clearing the snow at three different places.
This road is very important as it is connected to Leh. This road is very important for the tourists and the locals of the Lahaul Spiti Valley. The smoothness of this road is very necessary, said Surender Kumar Doon, Commander 38, Border Road Task Force.
This year BRO officials have planned to open the road by mid-April.
There are only two roads leading to the landlocked Ladakh region- the Srinagar-Leh Highway, which runs close to Indo-Pakistan border and the Manali-Leh Highway. (ANI)
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Through mountain of snow, they open road to Lahaul (Feature with image) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Don't travel on Manali-Leh highway after October - Oct 07, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be operational till Nov 15 - Nov 01, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Snow-clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2009
- Work underway to widen Manali-Leh highway - Feb 20, 2010
- Fresh snowfall in Rohtang Pass forces closure of Manali-Leh highway - Apr 19, 2010
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: border road, bulldozers, different places, indo, locals, pakistan border, rohtang pass, smoothness, snow clearance, snow clearing, snowfall, spiti valley, srinagar, task force, tourists, two roads