British Police arrest Kebab shop owner in terror raidSeptember 16th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
London , Sep 16 (ANI): A suspected Turkish Kebab shop owner has been arrested under the Prevention of Terrorism Act in Kent .
The suspect was arrested on Monday in a raid on an executive home in a village in Kent . The man, believed to be in his 40s, was held after police surrounded the 325,000 pound property on a new-build estate in Hawkinge, near Folkestone.
Kent police said he was detained on suspicion of being engaged in the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism, The Independent reported.
Reports suggested that the three-bedroom, semi-detached house one of only five in the cul-de-sac was occupied by two couples, believed to be two brothers and their wives and four children aged nine to 18.
Cyril Halpenny, a neighbour, said he thought the suspect was a Turkish kebab shop owner, and added: They seemed a quiet family. I only knew them to say hello to, to pass the time of day.
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she believed three generations of the same family lived in the house.
She said: I only know them to say hello to, but all the kids in the street play together. We”ve only lived here two years, and they”ve been here longer than that.
Kent Police said there was no suggestion the arrest was linked to recent investigations in the north of England into an alleged threat to kill Prime Minister Gordon Brown, nor any link to last week’’s Channel Tunnel fire. (ANI)
- Pregnant Pakistani woman burnt to death in Britain - Oct 16, 2010
- Brit man used schoolgirl, 15, as sex toy in cult's initiation ceremony - Feb 10, 2011
- The surreal after life of `Dubya' Bush - Dec 15, 2009
- Brit mum jailed for not returning cricket ball! - Jul 10, 2010
- Pakistan has never had it so bad (Comment) - Nov 13, 2010
- Let giant pandas go extinct, says leading conservationist - Sep 23, 2009
- Lara Bingle uses payout from ex-fiance Michael Clarke to buy $880K home - Sep 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda planned to attack Gibraltar during Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Nine held in Italy for links with Turkish Hezbollah - Feb 22, 2012
- Brit police hid sexual abuse of 60 girls by Asian takeaway workers for political correctness - Apr 08, 2011
- London violence spirals, over 560 held (Fourth Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Pune blasts: Police still to identify perpetrators, detain four (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Wheelchair gunman shot dead by police after stand-off - Jun 29, 2009
- Man claimed wife beating was 'traditional Turkish dance' - Sep 30, 2010
- China outraged as owner drops dog from 18th floor - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: british police, channel tunnel fire, cul de sac, cyril, detached house, folkestone kent, gordon brown, halpenny, hawkinge, instigation, kent police, kids in the street, neighbour, police arrest, prevention of terrorism, prime minister gordon brown, quiet family, terrorism act, three generations, two couples