Britain to cheer incoming tourists with hot cuppa and a biscuit!September 27th, 2008 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 27 (ANI): In a rather strange bid to make Britain more cheerful, officials are planning to offer a free cup of tea and a biscuit to every person flying into the country.
The ambitious plan was proposed by Mark Price, the managing director of Waitrose.
He believes that the move will help tourists, and travellers, returning from holidays from warding off any negative thoughts of a delayed flight, poor weather, and global financial meltdown.
“What could be more welcoming that a cuppa and jammie dodger or Garibaldi? When everyone seems so miserable about the economy, I am sure a cup of tea would put things in perspective, Telegraph quoted Price, as saying.
In fact, Price has even convinced airports operator BAA to run a week-long trial in November at Terminal 5, offering 5,000 cups a day to travellers in the arrivals hall.
Also, the tourism agency, Visit Britain is supporting the campaign.
If things go as per plans, one could see all airports across the UK offering the traditional British mix of milky tea and quirky biscuits in time for the London 2012 Olympics.
However, Waitrose still needs to decide which style of biscuit they will offer to in-bound travellers.
“I am very fond of a Garibaldi, or bourbon, but neither is a very good dunker, said Price. (ANI)
- Big freeze: Christmas travel plans in chaos - Dec 18, 2010
- Britannia may go for 6 percent overall price hike - Dec 17, 2011
- Now, an 'unsinkable' biscuit made from potato! - Sep 03, 2009
- T-shaped tea bag makes the perfect cup: Experts - Apr 01, 2012
- Giuseppe Garibaldi's body to be exhumed - Jul 27, 2012
- Britain''s favourite dunkers are chocolate digestives - Mar 04, 2009
- Will-Kate 'toasted married life with a cup of tea' - May 01, 2011
- Strikes at British airports averted - Aug 17, 2010
- "Predictable" screening methods making terrorist acts easier at airports: BAA chief - Nov 29, 2010
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Drinking tea can be as hydrating as water - Jun 18, 2010
- Black tea is beneficial for health - Dec 31, 2011
- Traditional British tea brewing in decline as trendier brews are preferred - Mar 25, 2011
- Britannia targets women with new biscuit - Jul 16, 2011
- Tetley launches tea-scented perfume - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 2012 olympics, ambitious plan, arrivals hall, biscuit, bourbon, cup of tea, cuppa, dunker, financial meltdown, garibaldi, jammie dodger, london 2012 olympics, milky tea, negative thoughts, poor weather, sept 27, terminal 5, tourism agency, visit britain, waitrose