Brit teen prepares to become world’’s youngest mother of conjoined twinsNovember 23rd, 2008 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 23 (ANI): Despite the medical risks involved, a British teenager has expressed her optimism at becoming the world’’s youngest mother of conjoined twins.
Laura Williams, 18, decided to continue her pregnancy and to go ahead with the delivery by Caesarean section, as the two girls are joined from the breastbone to the top of the navel and have separate hearts.
At the moment the young mother to be is being cared for at Birmingham Women’’s Hospital but will be transferred to another in London for the procedure.
Williams and her husband Aled, 28, have even decided on the names for their two daughters, calling one Faith and the other Hope.
Sometimes I think about the worst so I”m prepared for it, but if it works out well, then I”ll just be really happy. If they”re meant to be in this world and if they”ve come this far, we”ve got to hope they”ll make it the rest of the way, the Telegraph quoted her as telling the Mail Online.
Only about five per cent of conjoined twins survive the first 24 hours, and doctors must often sacrifice the life of one infant in order to save the other.
Now, in an interview, Laura and Aled have explained why they had to give their babies that chance.
Because every case is so different, they don”t like to give you odds on what might happen, but they have said that because of where they”re joined, there’’s more chance of them surviving than not surviving. If the join is just the stomach, there’’s a good chance of success, Aled said.
The couple met just over two years ago and have been married for around two months. (ANI)
- Irish conjoined twins separated after 14-hour operation - May 16, 2010
- Second conjoined Brit twin dies following separation surgery - Dec 27, 2008
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- Mother of separated Bangladeshi twins tells of their birth - Nov 30, 2009
- 66 years old single mum gives birth to twins conceived via IVF - Mar 08, 2012
- Lopez reveals twins' nickname - Feb 15, 2012
- Paris Hilton fancies British 'gentlemen' - Jan 05, 2012
- Wills, Kate's 'balcony kiss' key wedding moment! - Jan 06, 2011
- Kelly Preston is a hot fox: Robin Williams - Feb 07, 2010
- Hope for conjoined Patna twins after apex court ruling - Jul 19, 2012
- India will come hard at us: Arthur - Jan 30, 2012
- Pattison, Stewart split? - Jan 09, 2011
- Archbishop of Canterbury 'lauds Wills-Kat's maturity about married life' - Apr 22, 2011
- Laura Dekker finishes her solo sailing sojourn - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: babies, birmingham women, breastbone, british teenager, caesarean section, good chance, laura williams, mail, medical risks, navel, optimism, s hospital, separate hearts, stomach, telegraph, twins, two daughters, two girls, young mother, youngest mother