Brit prison staff asked to address sex offenders, violent criminals as Mr!October 1st, 2008 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 1 (ANI): Lancashire prison staff has been asked to call their inmates, including sex offenders and violent criminals “Mr” a move which is a part of their “decency agenda”.
According to the Prison Service’’s national “decency agenda”, management at the Wymott jail, which is run by governor Jayne Blake, the inmates must be called as “Mr”, followed by their surname at all times.
In a joint letter, Ron Crosby, chairman of the Prison Officers” Association at Wymott, and deputy chairman Howie Probert said the test of the decency agenda is: “Would we as members of the prison service like our children to be treated in the same manner as prison staff treat prisoners today?”
“All serving prison staff buy into this agenda and treat prisoners decently and with humanity, even under exceptionally difficult circumstances,” Telegraph quoted Probert, as saying.
A Prison Service spokesman said: “The Prison Service’’s decency agenda has been in operation for over five years. It seeks to improve the well being of everyone in prison, staff and prisoners alike.
“Prisoners are addressed by their first names, preferred names or by using the term ”Mr” and this is practice across the prison estate.”
Earlier, an officer, who was assaulted by a violent inmate, was told that charges would be dropped unless he called his attacker “Mr” throughout the hearing, although the Prison Service denied this.
by local Labour MP Lindsay Hoyle, whose Chorley constituency includes the category C jail has condemned the move.
“It is an absolute disgrace,” he said. “It is as though the inmates have taken over the asylum, she said.
“We ought to remember it is the prisoners that have done wrong, not the prison officers,” she added.
The Liberal Democrat’’s justice spokesman David Howarth added: “It is important that prisoners are treated with respect, but it is also important that prison officers are treated with respect. (ANI)
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Thousands of jail inmates to be called 'Mister' - Sep 14, 2011
- Son takes dead mom home on 58-km bus journey - Jan 19, 2012
- Tihar inmates allowed phone calls to families - May 10, 2011
- At least 3 killed in southern Thailand prison riot - Sep 05, 2011
- Thieves break into prison to steal cigarettes - Nov 22, 2011
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Don't treat Muslim prisoners as potential terrorists: British report (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Don't treat Muslim prisoners as potential terrorists: British report - Jun 08, 2010
- Muslim prisoners should not be treated as potential terrorists: British report (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: absolute disgrace, attacker, category c, constituency, crosby, david howarth, decency, deputy chairman, first names, hoyle, inmates, labour mp, liberal democrat, preferred names, prison officers association, prison service, prison staff, prisoners, probert, violent criminals