Brit kids clueless on why we celebrate ChristmasOctober 24th, 2008 - 6:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 24 (ANI): A new survey has revealed that less than three quarters of the kids in Britain know that Christmas is celebrated to mark the birth of Jesus Christ.
Some kids even believe that Father Christmas, or Santa Claus, was born on the December 25.
The survey led by www.youngpoll.com has revealed that 11 per cent of the youngsters believe that it was the birthday of Father Christmas.
Another six per cent thought December 25 was set aside just so they could get some presents.
Almost a quarter of youngsters did not know the reason for celebrating Easter.
Three per cent thought it to be the invention of chocolate, and nine per cent believed it was the Easter Bunnys birthday.
However, 77 per cent knew it was to celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
Its shocking to think that so many children arent aware about the reasons behind Christmas and Easter, the Daily Express quoted spokesman for www.youngpoll.com, as saying.
But for children nowadays, Christmas is about receiving presents, having a nice family dinner and decorating the house, while Easter is about how many chocolate eggs they get, he added.
The poll of 2,000 children, aged eight to 15 showed that almost 42 per cent had no idea that Christ died on Good Friday. (ANI)
- Apple in toffee syrup or marshmallows? Take your Easter pick - Apr 05, 2012
- Dad's no pushover, mum is: Brit kids - Jul 17, 2010
- Easter with largest egg weighing over a ton - Apr 15, 2012
- Archbishop of York wants church to spread the word down the pub! - Apr 03, 2010
- 8 in 10 Brit kids are ''addicted to cellphones'' - Mar 21, 2009
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Mums are better drivers than fathers, say kids - Dec 17, 2010
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- The significance of Easter Bunny on Easter - Apr 05, 2010
- Happy Easter, says B-town - Apr 08, 2012
- Coimbatore students celebrate arrival of Christmas to spread communal amity - Dec 23, 2010
- 90pct parents swear in front of kids - Feb 15, 2009
- Meghalaya celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Bunnies, birds and other Easter egg makeovers! (With Images) - Apr 23, 2011
- 1 in 3 Australians struggling with post-holiday blues - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: birth of jesus, birth of jesus christ, celebrating easter, chocolate eggs, christmas, daily express, easter bunnys, family dinner, father christmas, good friday, invention, new survey, nice family, poll, resurrection of christ, santa claus, spokesman, three quarters, why we celebrate christmas, youngsters