Brit conjoined twin dies during emergency surgeryDecember 4th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 4 (ANI): Baby Hope Williams, one of two conjoined twins born in Britain last week, passed away on December 2 during an emergency operation to separate her from her sister Faith.
Baby Faith was said to be in a critical situation and the chances of survival had been put at 50-50 following the 11-hour operation, which had to be carried out sooner than planned, as the sisters shared intestine had become blocked.
Hope passed away at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London with her parents, Laura and Aled Williams, standing by her bedside.
Laura, 18, and her husband had refused to terminate the pregnancy and she became the worlds youngest mother of conjoined twins, even though doctors had told her the twins would probably not live beyond two weeks.
Professor Agostino Pierro, head of the surgical team that separated the sisters, said Hopes lungs had proved too small to support her breathing, and Faith was in a stable condition and gradually improving.
This was an emergency operation because there was a blockage in their joined intestine which could only be resolved through separation, Times Online quoted him as saying.
The technical surgery worked well although it was extremely challenging and went according to plan. However, very sadly, after separation baby Hopes lungs proved too small to support her breathing and she died last night in the presence of her parents. They are clearly devastated by the loss of their daughter and we offer them our deepest condolences on their loss.
Baby Faith is stable after separation. She requires support for her breathing, but she is gradually improving. However, it is early days and complications can occur, he added. (ANI)
- Second conjoined Brit twin dies following separation surgery - Dec 27, 2008
- Panel to examine chances of separating conjoined twins - Jul 20, 2012
- SC pushes for surgical separation of conjoined sisters (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Conjoined Irish Twins Successfully Separated By Doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Irish conjoined twins separated after 14-hour operation - May 16, 2010
- Separated Nigerian Siamese twins take hope back home - Jul 17, 2010
- Delhi surgeons to separate conjoined twins from Bihar - Mar 31, 2010
- Conjoined Irish twins Hassan and Hussein separated by British doctors - Apr 09, 2010
- Conjoined twins' family undecided on surgery - Jul 31, 2012
- Bring conjoined sisters from Bihar to Delhi: SC - Jul 30, 2012
- Infant operated for rare congenital disorder - Jun 17, 2010
- Hope for conjoined Patna twins after apex court ruling - Jul 19, 2012
- World's most premature baby, born at 21 weeks, goes home healthy! - Apr 26, 2011
- SC pushes for medical separation of conjoined sisters - Jul 16, 2012
- Brit teen prepares to become world''s youngest mother of conjoined twins - Nov 23, 2008
Tags: aled, baby faith, baby hope, baby hopes, critical situation, deepest condolences, doctors, emergency operation, emergency surgery, great ormond street, great ormond street hospital, great ormond street hospital for children, hope williams, intestine, lungs, pregnancy, sister faith, stable condition, twins, worlds youngest mother