Brit circus clowns banned from playing trumpets, saxophones!September 23rd, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 23 (ANI): Birmingham council officials have banned clowns from playing trumpets and saxophones, insisting it to be a breach of licensing laws.
The clowns from UK’’s biggest travelling circuses, Zippo’’s Circus, have been barred from playing musical instruments during their six-minute act in the circus.
The show organisers have been forced to pull all music from the act, leaving the circus with silent clowns.
Circus owner Martin Burton claimed the clowns were being picked on as other acts can use instruments and a live keyboard throughout was deemed legitimate.
The Licensing Act 2003 forbids the playing of any live music without a licence.
“I”m a big fan of silent comedy but this is nonsense. Live music is an essential part of traditional clowning, Telegraph quoted Burton, as saying.
“It’’s absolutely ridiculous. It just highlights how ridiculous the Licensing Act is with regards to the circus.
“We had to take the music out. The clowns are from Spain, I explained the situation to them and now they think the English are mad, he added.
The officials said the circus could apply for a licence for the clowns to play.
Martin said: “Applying for licenses takes an incredible amount of time and resources, ours and the taxpayer’’s money.
“We are currently trying to persuade the government that circuses should be exempt from this ludicrous legislation. Let’’s hope they see sense.
Meanwhile, the council was unavailable for comment. (ANI)
- Sharing musical instruments can spread infection: Study - May 16, 2011
- Wynton Marsalis On "60 Minutes" - Jan 03, 2011
- Instrument Shortage Leaves California School Band Singing Blues - Sep 10, 2010
- Rajasthani touch at British queen's celebrations - Apr 28, 2012
- Jaipur Maharaja band to jam at Singapore Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2011
- People robbed of smiles, but clowns still try! - Nov 23, 2010
- I love mridangam sound: Rolling Stones saxophonist (Interview) - Feb 02, 2010
- Pattinson terrified of circus - Apr 21, 2011
- Trinidad envoy 'jams' with Kashmiri Sufi band - Sep 15, 2011
- 'India single most important focus' for US luxury brand Zippo - Jun 06, 2012
- Music industry to crackdown on copyright violations in Goa - Nov 17, 2011
- Cuba to hold circus festival - Aug 17, 2012
- Ethiopian dance, food fiesta in Delhi (With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Mayas had their own musical scale, say experts - Dec 14, 2011
- Now, an entire village for dwarves in Assam - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: acts, amount of time, breach, burton, circus clowns, circus owner, circuses, council officials, keyboard, legislation, licensing laws, live music, minute act, musical instruments, organisers, saxophones, silent clowns, silent comedy, telegraph, zippo