Brisk polling in ManipurApril 22nd, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Apr 22 (ANI): About 35 per cent of the electorates exercised their franchise by noon in the Inner Manipur parliamentary constituency in the second phase Lok Sabha polls on Wednesday.About 40 per cent votes were cast by noon in Thoubal district from where Chief Minister O. Ibobi Singh hails, 30 per cent in Bishenpur, 35 per cent in Imphal East and Imphal west district each.
According to sources, polling is underway in all 970 polling booths spread across the valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur.
The polling will decide the fate of seven candidates. The main contest is between M Nara of the Communist Party of India (CPI), Th Chaoba of the Manipur People’s Party and Th Meinya of the Congress.
Other candidates are W Nipamacha of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), A Rahaman (Independent), Nongmaithem Homendro (Independent) and lone woman candidate L Khetrani of the Bahujan Congress Party.
A total of 8.25 lakh voters are expected to cast their votes.
Manipur has two Lok Sabha seat.
Polling for the Outer Manipur seat was held on April 16 during the first phase of polling. (ANI)
- Polling for Inner Manipur seat begins - Apr 22, 2009
- Manipur witnesses 62 per cent turn out in second phase of LS polls - Apr 22, 2009
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set to score hat trick in Manipur (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur records 40 percent polling till noon (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Manipur sees 60 percent polling in second phase (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Campaigning ends for Manipur's seat - Apr 20, 2009
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Polling underway in Manipur - Apr 22, 2009
- Trinamool takes on Congress in Manipur - Jan 22, 2012
- Congress will win minimum 35 seats: Okram Ibobi Singh - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chief minister, communist party of india, congress party, CPI, electorates, fate, franchise, imphal, lok sabha polls, lone woman, nara, parliamentary constituency, polling booths, second phase, woman candidate