Brigadier Sudhir Sawant appointed Territorial Army deputy chiefFebruary 18th, 2009 - 7:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 18 (ANI): Colonel Sudhir Sawant, former Member of Parliament, has been promoted to the rank of Brigadier.
The rank of Brigadier was piped on him by Major General KVS Lalotra, Additional Director General, Territorial Army.
On promotion to the rank of Brigadier, Sawant has been appointed as Deputy Director General Territorial Army (Inf TA).
Major General Narendra Singh, Colonel of the Maratha LI and other officers of the Territorial Army were present on the ocassion.
Brigadier Sudhir Sawant was commissioned in the Maratha Light Infantry on June 13, 1976. In the Army, he held important appointments as an instructor for the commando Wing of Infantry School and served in the Military Intelligence Directorate and in the sixth and eighth Bns of Maratha LI Regiment.
He also served in Jammu and Kashmir. The officer took premature retirement in April 1991 and was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Rajapur Parliamentary constituency.
Brigadier Sudhir Sawant was again commissioned into the Territorial Army on June 1, 1993. During his service with the Territorial Army, he served as Company Commander and Deputy Commander of Territorial Army Gp HQ, Southern Command.
During ”Operation Vijay”, he served in Jammu and Kashmir. After the attack on the Parliament, he served in the Southern theater during ”Operation Parakram”.
He was also a Member of the Legislative Council and served in many important government assignments. (ANI)
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Terriers donate blood on the occasion of Diamond Jubilee celebration - Oct 21, 2009
- Peru's president relieves 22 generals - Jul 04, 2012
- Lt General Nair takes charge as Military Secretary - Feb 01, 2010
- Gen Bikram Singh assumes command of Indian Army (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Over 3,000 policemen promoted in Dubai - Jun 07, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army - Feb 13, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Army general falsified Kargil records, rules tribunal (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Army general falsified Kargil records, rules tribunal (Second Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Saleh sacks defected military commander in Yemen - Mar 28, 2011
- Signal Corps gets new Officer-in-Chief - Jul 31, 2008
- Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh is new Eastern Command chief - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: bns, brigadier, company commander, deputy director general, government assignments, infantry school, intelligence directorate, jammu and kashmir, kvs, Lok Sabha, maratha light infantry, member of parliament, military intelligence, narendra singh, ocassion, operation vijay, parliamentary constituency, premature retirement, sudhir, territorial army