Bribery issue will be investigated, says Somnath ChatterjeeJuly 22nd, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 22 (ANI): Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has today said that he would get the issue of money being offered to three BJP MPs, allegedly by the Samajwadi Party, investigated.
A sting operation was conducted by a television channel, which handed over the tapes to the Speaker.
The channel in question also said that what was on the tape was not conclusive.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other opposition MPs trooped into the Well of the Lok Sabha, claiming that they had been paid off by the Samajwadi Party to abstain from this evenings trust vote over the Indo-US nuclear deal.
Proceedings in the Lower House were brought to a complete standstill in the wake of this disclosure.
Leader of Opposition L.K. Advani, while talking to reporters, stated that three BJP MPs, two from Madhya Pradesh and one from Rajasthan, had informed him of the alleged cash transaction or buyout.
Advani said that the BJP MPs from Madhya Pradesh were (1) Ashok Chhaviram Argal, 39, representing the Morena (SC) constituency, (2) Faggan Singh Kulaste, 48, representing the Mandla (ST) constituency and the third was Mahaveer Bhagora, 61, representing the Salumber (SC) constituency in Rajasthan.
Meanwhile, the Lower House has been adjourned till 6.30 PM, when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would give a reply to the House.
The Speaker has stated that voting on the trust motion would be held at 7.15 PM. (ANI)
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- BJP rally in support of arrested ex-MP - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Police file supplementary chargesheet - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Legal experts say role of Speaker limited in cash for vote scam probe - Jul 22, 2008
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP exempted from attending trial court (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Whistleblowers should be protected: Advani - Sep 17, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Amar Singh rejects having a role in cash for vote scam - Jul 22, 2008
Tags: argal, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bribery issue, cash transaction, l k advmanmohan singh, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, mandla, nuclear deal, opposition mps, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, sting operation, trust motion, trust vote