Brahmos to be main attraction of Armys Republic Day contingentJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 23 (ANI): BrahMos, a 290-km range cruise missile that can touch 2.8 times the speed of sound, will be the main attraction of the army contingent for the Republic Day 2009.
The leader of the Republic Day Parade, GOC Delhi Area, Major General KJS Oberoi said that the Brahmos and full width length mine plough would be the main attraction of the parade this year.
He further said to keep the enthusiasm level high among spectators, the duration of the parade will one-and-half-hours. Last year, duration of the Republic Day parade was one hour and fifty-two minutes.
Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev will be the chief Guest on the occasion. The parade will commence from Vijay Chowk till the Red Fort following the traditional route of Rajpath.
The Indian Army will be represented by the mounted column of 61 cavalry, seven mechanized columns, eight marching contingents, and a fly past by the Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopters of Army Aviation core.
Ten serving, retired and civilian Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra awardees will also participate in the parade.
A total of 10 military bands and 13 Pipes and Drums of various regiments will provide music to the mach past. (ANI)
- Indigenous aircraft to be main draw at Republic Day parade - Jan 23, 2011
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- India showcases military might at 62nd R'Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Military might, 'mini-India' on display at 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- High alert ahead of Republic Day Parade 2010 - Jan 23, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Commonwealth mascot Shera, MBT Arjun to be 61st Republic Day attractions - Jan 26, 2010
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: army aviation, ashok chakra, cavalry, chief guest, chowk, contingent, cruise missile, delhi area, half hours, indian army, kjs, light helicopters, main attraction, military bands, nursultan nazarbayev, oberoi, param vir chakra, pipes and drums, plough, republic day