Brahmos to be inducted into IAF by 2012March 23rd, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Mar 23 (ANI): A. Sivathanu Pillai, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Brahmos Aerospace, has said that the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos will be inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) by 2012.
Pillai was interacting with media at a function here on Sunday as he spoke at length about the programme for integration of the Brahmos missile on an airborne platform.
“The light weight air force missile development is almost completed. Now, it is important to integrate this missile with the Sukhoi aircraft. That process is now going on and the necessary modifications to be carried out are being made with this. We are aiming that 2011 for out flight trails and 2012 for the induction. This is our present programme for the air force version,” said Pillai.
Brahmos, named after India’’s Brahmaputra river and Russia’’s Moskva river, is primarily an anti-ship missile, but can be used against land targets as well.
The Brahmos, which is eight metres in length, has a range of 290 km and carries a conventional warhead weighing about 200 kg.
The three-ton Brahmos can reach a speed of Mach 2.823, almost three times the speed of sound, and can be launched from land, ships, submarines and aircraft. (ANI)
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- IAF could soon get supersonic BrahMos missile - Oct 24, 2010
- BrahMos missile likely to be inducted in IAF by 2013 - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- Russia's security chief visits BrahMos missile complex - Feb 02, 2010
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- BrahMos cruise missile achieves supersonic dive (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- India, Russia spar over BrahMos missile air version - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: airborne platform, brahmaputra river, brahmos missile, chief executive officer, conventional warhead, cruise missile, iaf, indian air force, induction, land ships, land targets, mach 2, managing director, missile development, moskva river, necessary modifications, speed of sound, submarines, sukhoi aircraft, supersonic cruise missile brahmos