Boy killed in south Kashmir firing, toll rises to 65

August 30th, 2010 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS  

Srinagar, Aug 30 (IANS) An 11-year old boy was killed in security forces’ firing in south Kashmir’s Anantnag town as stone pelting protesters clashed with the security forces Monday evening, taking to 65 the casualites in the Valley since June 11.
“Irshad Ahmad Parray, 11, was brought to Srinagar with a gunshot wound and doctors at a local hospital could not revive him despite their best efforts,” a senior police officer said here.

“A large mob of stone pelting protesters attacked the Sherbagh police post near Eidgah in Anantnag town this evening.

“Police and central reserve police force (CRPF) used batons and tear smoke shells to quell the protesters, who continued attacking the police post.

“When the mob refused to subside, the security forces fired rubber bullets in which the boy was injured. He was immediately shifted to Srinagar for specialized treatment.

“Three policemen have been injured in the incident and one of them has suffered a critical facial injury,” Shafwat Ahmad, deputy inspector general of police south Kashmir range, told IANS on the phone.

With the death of the 11-year old boy, the number of people who lost their lives in the ongoing unrest in the Valley which started on June 11 has now risen to 65.

In another incident in south Kashmir Pulwama town, another unruly mob attacked security men and after batons, tear smoke shells and aerial firing failed to bring the situation under control, security forces used pump action guns (PAGs) and fired rubber bullets.

“Two protesters sustained gunshot wounds in the Pulwama incident and they have been shifted to Srinagar for specialized treatment”, said another police officer here.

Earlier, five people were wounded, one of them critically, when a local policeman allegedly fired pellets at some youth playing carom on the road where the authorities had imposed restrictions.

Doctors at the S.M.H.S hospital in Srinagar said Yaseer Ahmad Sheikh, one of the injured youth who had suffered a gunshot injury in lower abdomen, was still critical while the other four injured youth were out of danger now.

Immediately after the incident, police in Srinagar suspended the constable who fired at the youth.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |