Boxer Vijender loses in semifinals, wins Bronze medalAugust 22nd, 2008 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
Jalandhar/New Delhi, August 22 (ANI): Middleweight boxer Vijender Kumar, who secured India’’s first boxing medal lost his semifinal bout at the Beijing Olympics on Friday, but people back home are rejoicing over his bronze medal winning performance.
Vijender, who began the bout on a defensive note salvaged some pride by punching for five points, only to lessen the margin of loss to three points as his Cuban opponent Emilio Correa outplayed him by scoring eight points to advance to the middleweight final of the Olympic boxing competition.
Expressing grief over his loss boxing coach of Khalsa College, Jalandhar Virender Kumar, said that his performance would give fillip to the younger lot to strive for better.
We are sad that he lost this match but his performance has been commendable. His performance will certainly boost the moral of other boxers, said Virender.
Chief Minister of Haryana Bhupender Singh Hooda lauded the performance of Kumar and other players hailing from the state.
The players from Haryana have staged a splendid performance in the Olympics. Four players from Haryana have made to the quarterfinals. Vijender Kumar reached semifinal stage. I saw his bout today. He has displayed a highly skilled performance, said Hooda.
Vijender Kumar became the first ever-Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal. His performance also boosted India’’s tally in Beijing Olympics to three as shooter Abhinav Bindra won gold in 10m air rifle event and wrestler Sushil Kumar who bagged bronze. (ANI)
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Yeh dil maange more, says boxer Vijender - Jul 24, 2012
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Olympics boxing: India's Vijender knocked out (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Deepinder Hooda wants sports university in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012