Boucher meets Menon, discusses Mumbai terror attacksJanuary 8th, 2009 - 8:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.8 (ANI): US Assistant Secretary of State fior Central and South Asia, Richard Boucher met Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshanker Menon here today and reviewed the latest developments relating to the November 2008 terror attacks on Mumbai.
A statement released after the meeting said Boucher had expressed the United States determination to find out who was behind the 26/11 attacks that claimed 179 lives and maimed more than 300.
He also said that the initiatives taken by Pakistan so far, are promising, but there was still a long way to go.
Boucher is believed to have told Menon that the people involved in the attack on Mumbai must be brought to justice, and added that the steps taken so far, have not eliminated the terror threat completely.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Indian Government’’s spokesperson had questioned Pakistan’’s decision to reject the evidence provided toit in relation to the terror attacks.
“Since the terrorist attack on Mumbai on November 26, the Government of Pakistan has asked India for evidence. On January 5, we gave them the evidence. Less than 24 hours later, the Pakistan Foreign Office has chosen to reject this evidence. How can this rejection be credible or be based on a real examination and investigation of the evidence? This is a political rejection without any basis,” the spokesman said in a statement.
“It is unfortunate that the Pakistan Foreign Office has chosen to regress into its previous patterns of denial of facts, evidence and reality. The Pakistan Foreign Office statement also reiterates so-called constructive proposals for a new mechanism and a high level visit. There are existing bilateral mechanisms set up at the highest level, such as the Joint Anti Terror Mechanism, which Pakistans evasion and denial have made infructuous,” he said.
“It is, therefore, unclear what purpose would be served by yet another mechanism, or by a high level visit, especially if Pakistan continues to maintain the attitude revealed by the Foreign Office Press Release. The issue is not words or statements or the situation in South Asia. The issue is what Pakistan does about terrorist attacks on India from Pakistan,” he concluded. (ANI)
Tags: assistant secretary, constructive proposals, denial, evasion, fior, foreign office, government of pakistan, indian government, initiatives, mechanisms, New Delhi, rejection, richard boucher, secretary of state, South Asia, spokesman, spokesperson, terror attacks, terror threat, terrorist attack