Botham says England can beat ageing AussiesOctober 14th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 14 (ANI): Former Endland all rounder Ian Botham is unimpressed with Shane Warnes prediction that Australia will whitewash England in next years Ashes battle.
The leg spinner - who terrorised England throughout his Test career has written off Kevin Pietersens side as worthy opponents for his former teammates in 2009.
Botham does not buy Warnes theory that Australia are stronger than ever despite the retirements of Glenn McGrath, Adam Gilchrist and the spinner himself from the international arena.
Apparently he thinks the Aussies will wipe the floor with England, and win 5-0 again, because Kevin Pietersen has only a solitary win in a dead rubber against South Africa as cause for optimism, the Daily Mirror quoted Botham, as saying.
But the truth is that a few more Aussies will be close to drawing their pensions by the time 2009 comes round.
The remarkable 2005 Ashes win for England seems a long time ago, and Botham can see a similar success story unfolding next summer.
I honestly believe if England keep the side who finished the summer against South Africa (the one with which they should have started it), they will have a great chance, added the former all-rounder.
Australia may still be the team to beat, but they are not the juggernaut of old, and I notice they couldnt polish off India when they had them on the back foot in Bangalore yesterday (Monday).
The batting still looks strong enough on paper, but its not easy to replace a pair of bowlers like McGrath and Warne when they took more than 1,200 Test wickets between them.
And however much the Aussies try to dress it up, they have not found a spinner to fill Warnes boots yet not by a long chalk. (ANI)
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- Swann will be trump card in England's Ashes victory: Botham - Nov 11, 2010
- If Aussies bring back Warne then England will bring back Trueman, jokes Botham - Nov 17, 2010
- England has best chance in 24 years to wrest Ashes Down Under: Warne - Jul 07, 2010
- McGrath tips Australia to win Ashes series 5-0 - Nov 03, 2010
- Broad should model himself on McGrath: Botham - Nov 12, 2009
- Ashes defeat would end Ponting's reign: Vaughan - Nov 03, 2010
- Captain Ponting under biggest amount of pressure, says Pietersen ahead of Ashes - Nov 22, 2010
- India have to prove they are world's top Test team: Botham - May 26, 2011
- Sour Oz fans tweet out their frustrations over team's Ashes tumble - Dec 07, 2010
- Verbal confrontations with Aussies 'normal Ashes banter': Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
- We will be better prepared against Johnson: Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
- Australian bowlers need to be consistent: McGrath - Jan 04, 2011
- Oz planning to "cook" England bowlers in Australian summer: Shane Watson - Nov 23, 2010
- McGrath backs Ponting to lead Australia to an Ashes victory - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: adam gilchrist, bowlers, daily mirror, endland, glenn mcgrath, ian botham, international arena, juggernaut, kevin pietersen, optimism, pensions, retirements, rounder, shane warnes, success story, test career, test wickets, warne, whitewash, worthy opponents