Borat snubs fans plea to sing at WembleyOctober 10th, 2008 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 10 (ANI): British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen shot down a fans request to sing at Kazakhstans World Cup qualifying football match against England.
The British comedian and writer, who is known for creating witty characters such as Ali G, Borat and Bruno, was asked in a Facebook petition to sing the countrys anthem at the Wembley stadium.
The Golden Globe-winning actor has, however, decided to ignore the petition bearing 10,500 signatures, reports the Sun.
The 36-year-old had sung the Kazakhstans national anthem in the 2006 mockumentary film Borat in which he led as a protagonist with the same title who travels through the US, recording real-life interactions with Americans.
The satire was banned by all Arab countries, except Lebanon, and Kazakh officials even threatened to sue the actor for mocking the country in the film. (ANI)
- Kazakh men use national flag to collect trash - Apr 18, 2012
- Kazakhstan lodges complaint over gaffe - Mar 27, 2012
- Sacha Baron Cohen not welcome to attend Oscars dressed as 'The Dictator' - Feb 23, 2012
- Bruno scoops Best Film nomination at British Comedy Awards - Nov 19, 2009
- Sacha Baron Cohen to play Saddam Hussein - Jan 21, 2011
- Three years on - Borat still censored in Kazakhstan - Oct 18, 2009
- Baron Cohen to play Eurovision singer in new movie - Aug 03, 2009
- Sacha Baron Cohen to star in film 'inspired by Saddam Hussein book' - Jan 21, 2011
- Sacha Baron Cohen lands dual role as Spanish twins - Aug 02, 2009
- Comedian Cohen apologises to Madonna, sends her flowers - Apr 19, 2009
- Why is Sacha Baron barred from the Oscar ceremony? - Feb 23, 2012
- Sacha Baron Cohen set to play Freddie Mercury in upcoming film - Sep 17, 2010
- Isla Fisher doesn't like to discuss her hubby's film ideas with him - Mar 08, 2011
- Russell Brand and Helen Mirren in Arthur - Apr 24, 2010
- Sacha Baron Cohen was producer's first choice to host Oscars - Feb 21, 2010
Tags: ali g borat, arab countries, borat, british comedian, comedian sacha baron cohen, football match, golden globe, kazakh, mockumentary, national anthem, petition, plea, protagonist, sacha baron cohen, satire, signatures, wembley london, wembley stadium, witty characters, world cup