Book based on Muhammad’’s child bride not to be publishedAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug.20 (ANI): A racy, historical novel based on the Prophet Muhammad’’s child bride A”isha has been pulled out of the publishing line just before its release date.
Sherry Jones, author of The Jewel of Medina, said she received word from Random House Inc. that the book’’s release would be “postponed indefinitely.”
The decision came after copies of her book were sent to stores, her book tour was scheduled and the Book of the Month Club had accepted her work, reports Fox News.
“My book is a respectful portrayal of Islam, of A”isha, of Muhammad. And anyone who reads it with [an] open mind will come away with an understanding of Islam as a peaceful religion,” said the American author.
In a statement to Fox News, Random House said that although it supports a free discussion of ideas, it decided to stop the book from hitting the shelves due to security concerns.
“We felt an obligation to take these concerns very seriously. We consulted with security experts as well as with scholars of Islam, whom we asked to review the book and offer their assessments of potential reactions,” the release stated.
Jones said Random House will pay her a 100,000 dollars advance, and that it will allow her to seek another publisher for the book.(ANI)
- Yale nixes publication of Muhammad cartoons in new book fearing violence - Aug 14, 2009
- Prophet Muhammad novel scrapped amid violence fears - Aug 10, 2008
- Next Satanic Verses to be published next month despite Islamist pressure - Sep 04, 2008
- Book on `child bride of Prophet Mohamed shelved - Aug 09, 2008
- Islamic fundamentalists jailed for trying to set ablaze publisher's house in London - Jul 08, 2009
- US academic dubs new book on Prophet Mohammed "softcore pornography" - Sep 30, 2008
- Attempt of Islamic extremists to kill the publisher of book on Prophet foiled - Sep 28, 2008
- Rushdie slams publisher for dropping ''next Satanic Verses'' under Islamist pressure - Aug 15, 2008
- Prophets child bride book may not be published in Britain following firebombing - Oct 02, 2008
- UK launch of controversial Prophet Mohammed novel postponed - Oct 10, 2008
- Islamic extremists warn of more reprisals if book on prophet is published - Sep 29, 2008
- Ministry orders withdrawal of offending text book - Jul 04, 2011
- Seminary asks Muslims to avoid ostentation on Mawlid - Feb 03, 2012
- Saudi held in Malaysia for insulting Islam - Feb 10, 2012
- Algeria moves Gaddafi's family to capital - Sep 03, 2011