Bond creator Fleming could be the brain behind CIAAugust 15th, 2008 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
London , Aug 15 (ANI): The creator of 007 or James Bond, Ian Fleming could be the brain behind CIA.
In fact, Fleming often claimed, albeit in humour, that he had helped to create the CIA.
According to the Times, during the Second World War, Fleming had worked as a personal assistant to John Godfrey, the hard-driving head of Naval Intelligence, who was Flemings model for M in the Bond series.
During the war, a part of Flemings job was to liaise with General William Wild Bill Donovan, head of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), America s newly minted wartime answer to MI6.
Fleming and Donovan got along extremely well, and when Donovan was preparing plans for a new American intelligence service in 1941, he asked Fleming to write him a blue print.
Fleming wrote a 72-page memo on how a US secret service should be. The memo contains a description of what an ideal secret agent should be, and this is strongly echoed in the form of James Bond.
Later, Fleming went on to suggest indirectly that his advice to Donovan on founding the OSS had been instrumental in forming the CIA charter.
This idea might not be strictly true, but Donovan was grateful enough to present Fleming with a .38 Colt revolver inscribed, somewhat cryptically, For Special Services.
Fleming did not precisely say what those services were, but he liked to imply that they had been very special indeed.
The Imperial War Museum in London has Flemings memo to Donovan on display, as part of the exhibition titled For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond. (ANI)
- Ian Fleming likely inspiration behind Operation Mincemeat: Report - Jan 14, 2010
- New Bond writer to turn superspy into Afghan war veteran - Nov 02, 2010
- Graham Greene, W. Somerset Maugham were MI6 wartime spies, book reveals - Sep 22, 2010
- Bentley and publishers Hodder and Stoughten come out with 1500 dollar limited 007 book - Apr 27, 2011
- James McAvoy tipped to play Bond creator Ian Fleming in biopic - Dec 31, 2009
- Woman who inspired Miss Moneypenny passes away at 88 - Dec 19, 2009
- James Bond 'based on real life MI6 special agent' - Sep 22, 2010
- MI6's WWII mission inspired opening sequence of Goldfinger - Apr 18, 2010
- Ava Gardner's sex pact with Brit war hero who inspired James Bond - Apr 14, 2011
- New documents reveal Hitler's 'last desperate stand' during WWII - Oct 29, 2010
- Allied forces 'believed Hitler had secret Nazi hideout during WWII' - Oct 29, 2010
- Wikileaks releases classified CIA memo about hypothetical perception of U.S. as terror exporter - Aug 26, 2010
- Real 'James Bond' loved pretty women, fast cars - Sep 22, 2010
- Ian Fleming''s life was as colourful as James Bond''s - Nov 10, 2008
- Bentley designs James Bond book 'Carte Blanche' for $1,650 - May 02, 2011
Tags: 1941, american intelligence, bond series, colt revolver, flemings, humour, ian fleming, imperial war museum, intelligence service, james bond, john godfrey, mi6, naval intelligence, office of strategic services, page memo, personal assistant, second world war, us secret service, wild bill donovan, william wild bill donovan