Bolt needs to show more respect to his fellow competitors to be called great: RoggeAugust 21st, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug.21 (ANI): International Olympic Organisation Chief Jacques Rogge has said that Jamaican double sprint gold medallist Usain Bolt will have to show more respect to fellow competitors if he is to be termed great at the end of his sporting career.
He said that Bolt could learn from the experiences of former U.S. sprinter Jesse Owens, who became one of the biggest names in the Olympics by winning four gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Games.
“Bolt is another dimension in sprint. Bolt must be considered now the same way like Jesse Owens should have been in the 30s. It is different in that Bolt has a bigger edge than Owens in his finals. Bolt in a way - if he maintains that in the future - will bring a mark like Jesse Owens. I think he should show more respect, shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones. Not making gestures like the one he made in the 100 metres,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted him, as saying.
Rogge was referring to his comfortable 100m win on Saturday in 9.69 seconds where he pounded his chest before crossing the finishing line.
The Jamaican won the 100m and 200m sprint gold in world record timings of 9.69 seconds and 19.30 seconds respectively.
“He still has to mature. I would love him to show more respect to his competitors. He should learn that he should shake hands with competitors. I understand the joy. He might have interpreted that in another way but the way it was perceived is ”catch me if you can”. You don”t do that,” said Rogge, who participated in three Olympics from 1968 to 1976 in yachting. (ANI)
- Greene discounts world record by Bolt in London - Jun 28, 2012
- Fit-again Bolt admits to past back injury - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: I have nothing left to prove, says Bolt (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Usain Bolt to visit New Zealand - Sep 11, 2012
- Jamaica's Bolt is fast, loose and wants to play professional football - Aug 28, 2010
- Olympics: Bolt breezes into 200m final - Aug 09, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012