Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt is the SP’’s candidate from LucknowJanuary 8th, 2009 - 10:56 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai/Lucknow, Jan.8 (ANI): Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt will contest the 2009 general elections on a Samajwadi Party (SP) ticket. Fellow actor and Bhojpuri film star Manoj Tiwari will also contest the polls from the same party.
Samajwadi Party General Secretary Amar Singh told mediapersons on Thursday, said that if Dutt was disallowed from contesting the elections because of the criminal cases against him, the party would move the Election Commission or the Supreme Court.
“Dutt told me you are like my elder brother. He said he would do anything I ask him to though he said he was not a political person,” said the SP general secretary.
The constituency is currently represented by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Dutt, who is facing a six-year sentence in the 1993 bomb blasts case, has approached the Supreme Court for an acquittal.
Tiwari said that party president Mulayam Singh Yadav had asked him to contest the polls from Gorakhpur. (ANI)
- Amar Singh to launch new party - Nov 16, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt to be Samajwadi candidate from Lucknow (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- Manoj Tiwari expresses solidarity with Amar Singh - Jan 10, 2010
- Munnabhai says will not contest against Vajpayee - Jan 18, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt to be Samajwadi Party candidate from Lucknow - Jan 08, 2009
- Police response sought on bail plea of Amar Singh's ex-aide (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- If Sanjay Dutt can't contest, Manyata will be our candidate: Amar Singh - Jan 10, 2009
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Samajwadi Party will soon name Lucknow candidate' - Mar 31, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt also quits as Samajwadi Party general secretary (Lead) - Jan 10, 2010
- Sanjay will not contest if Vajpayee does - Jan 18, 2009
- Manoj Tiwari, Naveen Patnaik file nomination papers - Mar 28, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt also quits as Samajwadi Party general secretary (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2010
- Won't accept Amar Singh's resignation, says Mulayam - Jan 10, 2010
Tags: acquittal, amar singh, bollywood star, bomb blasts, constituency, elder brother, election commission, fellow actor, former prime minister, general elections, general secretary, mulayam singh yadav, mumbai, party president, political person, polls, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, supreme court