Bollywood returns to Kashmir ValleyApril 2nd, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 2 (IANS) Bollywood is fast resuming its honeymoon with the picturesque Kashmir Valley - once the most favoured location for filmmakers in the country.
Several film units have already started shooting in Kashmir, which has been in the clutches of violence since 1989, when insurgency erupted in the Muslim-dominated valley.
Film producer Sunil Kapoor is presently in the valley shooting for “Love in Kashmir”. The producer has completed 30 percent of the film’s shooting.
Kapoor received great help from the state government to shoot the film, Minister for Tourism and Culture Nawang Rigzin Jora said, adding more producers were willing to come to the valley.
Jora in a release said the tourism department was keen to lure the big Bollywood banners back to the Kashmir Valley and was committed to providing them the best of facilities for their shoots, including free access to locations.
He asked Bollywood filmmakers to also make use of locales in Ladakh and Jammu regions, which also provide vast and varied potential for film production houses.
He said shooting a film in the state was much cheaper than in Europe.
The Kashmir Valley used to be the favourite destination of the Bollywood producers and many hit films like “Kashmir Ki Kali”, “Kabhi Kabhi” and “Arzoo” were shot in the valley.
However, the militancy forced filmmakers to look for other places with the worsening security situation in the valley.
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir minister - Mar 27, 2012
- SRK learnt life's important lesson in Pahalgam (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- Shah Rukh film shoot rekindles Kashmir magic - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Rich tourist infrastructure necessary for J-K tourism sector's development' - Apr 17, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir to promote adventure tourism - May 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- SRK begins his first ever shooting schedule in Kashmir Valley - Aug 27, 2012
- Ladakh trip makes Farhan nostalgic - Sep 02, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Motor rally to boost adventure tourism - Jun 25, 2010
- Chidambaram to meet Omar Abdullah - Oct 31, 2010
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- SRK to shoot Yash Chopra's movie in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: clutches, favoured location, film producer, film production, film units, filmmakers, free access, honeymoon, jammu, jora, kashmir, ki, ladakh, militancy, muslim, producers, production houses, security situation, state government, tourism department