Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar runs for a ‘’special” cause in New DelhiDecember 21st, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 21 (ANI): Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar took part in a special torch run organised here today for the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games.
The Special Olympics is aimed at empowering specially-abled individuals to take active part in sports training and competition.
Ahead of the Special Olympics World Winter Games scheduled to be held in Boise, Idaho, USA from February 2 to February 13, 2009, a Global Law Enforcement Torch Run is being organised in all the host cities.
Akshay, who led the Indian leg of the torch run flagged off by New Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Diksit, said that there is a need to encourage the specially-abled individuals to be a part of the mainstream society.
“There are 30 million children who are special. We are waiting for one million athletes to come in. Please, come forward and encourage them. They have the right to lead a normal life like you and me,” said Kumar.
Akshay, the brand ambassador of Special Olympics, is now all set to take the torch to Shanghai in China after going through the streets of New Delhi’’s ”Chandni Chowk” area.
When asked whether he had any security concerns taking part in such a public relay after the Mumbai attacks, Akshay said that militancy should not be allowed to overshadow other aspects of life and that Mumbai is still a safe city despite the recent attacks that killed at least 179.
“Whatever happened in Mumbai, despite all that, all of us got back to work. I myself went back to work the very next day. We don”t have to give importance to these terrorist,” said Akshay.
Akshay who was chosen as the brand ambassador for Special Olympics in 2005 urged the people that militancy and acts of terror attacks should not be allowed to assume any importance.
The 2009 Special Olympics will host almost 300 athletes with intellectual disabilities from more than 100 countries. The six-day event will see the athletes competing in seven winter sport events. (ANI)
- Akshay Kumar to join Special Olympics Torch run - Dec 18, 2008
- Over 600 specially-abled students participate in Shimla Winter Olympics - Dec 16, 2010
- Akshay Kumar runs for 'special athletes' - Dec 21, 2008
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- 10K run augurs well for India: Linford Christie - May 24, 2012
- Monnet 'Go for Gold' torch to Olympics reaches Mumbai - Jun 27, 2012
- National coaching camp for specially-abled persons organised in Chennai - Jul 30, 2010
- Akshay Kumar runs with the Olympian torch! - Dec 16, 2009
- 'Disabled children a part of our society' - Dec 11, 2010
- Akshay Kumar presented with the Olympic Torch - Nov 18, 2009
- Akshay Kumar carries the Olympic flame - Dec 21, 2009
- Cricket camp organized for specially-abled children in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 03, 2010
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Idaho man accused of three bank robberies - Feb 11, 2010
- Big Olympic Honour for Akshay Kumar - Nov 12, 2009
Tags: akshay kumar, aspects of life, boise idaho, chief minister, global law, host cities, intellectual disabilities, law enforcement torch, mainstream society, olympics world winter games, safe city, security concerns, shiela, special olympics, sport events, sports training, streets of new delhi, terror attacks, winter games, world winter games