Bob Irwin explains his departure from Australia ZooApril 3rd, 2008 - 5:39 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, April 3 (ANI): The father of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has opened up about his much publicised departure from Australia Zoo.
In an exclusive interview to be aired on ABC’s Australian Story, Bob Irwin, revealed that he left the zoo because he was becoming a disrupting influence.
Last month Bob walked away from the Queensland zoo that he founded 36 years ago, and which Steve made into an international drawcard.
According to media reports, the 68-year-old decided to leave because he was upset with the direction of the Sunshine Coast-based zoo and the career of Steves 9-year-old daughter Bindi.
“There’s been a lot of media coverage recently of my departure from Australia Zoo,” News.com.au quoted Bob, as saying.
“It’s a strange feeling to spend half your lifetime building something up and walking away from it.
“I was becoming a disrupting influence, not that I meant to be,” he added.
Steves widow Terri has previously tried to dampen speculation that her father-in-law left the park because of a personal rift.
“I just can assure everyone that I love Bob dearly … he’s gone through so much grief losing his (first) wife and his only son that I will respectfully just leave it at that,” Terri said.
Terri has also revealed plans of a five-year expansion of the zoo to make it Australia’s peak tourist destination with a Disneyland feel, as well as adding luxury accommodation and boosting staff.
She has dismissed rumours that the family is planning to sell the zoo and moving back to the US. (ANI)
- Slash launches wildlife charity - Aug 24, 2012
- Crocodile hunter hid pain and suffering, says father - Apr 07, 2008
- Terri Irwin says she's not ready to find new love - May 30, 2010
- Terri Irwin plans to turn Australia Zoo into Disneyland-like safari park - Mar 20, 2008
- Irwins rift deepens over Australian zoo - Sep 30, 2008
- Crocodile Hunter's daughter, 11, wants to become Australia's PM - May 23, 2010
- Bindi Irwin to make movie debut in Free Willy 4 - Mar 21, 2009
- Fallout in Irwin empire? - Feb 16, 2008
- Terry Irwin selling Australia Zoo to relocate to the US? - Mar 17, 2008
- Russell Crowe fighting to save Steve Irwin's reserve from mining - Apr 20, 2009
- Crocodiles ride ocean currents to cross large areas of open sea - Jun 08, 2010
- Oz granddad's shock over pic of granddaughter wrapped by snake - May 28, 2010
- Terri Irwin's team confronts women's mags - Feb 28, 2008
- Drunk Man Survives Crocodile Attack! - Jul 14, 2010
- Bob Irwin receives $1m retirement package - Apr 10, 2008
Tags: australia zoo, crocodile, crocodile hunter steve, crocodile hunter steve irwin, daughter bindi, disneyland, first wife, grief, lifetime, luxury accommodation, media coverage, melbourne april, news com au, peak tourist, queensland zoo, speculation, strange feeling, sunshine coast, tourist destination, zoo news