BMW hit-and-run case sentencing deferred to Sept 5September 3rd, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sept 3 (ANI): A Delhi court has deferred till September 5 the sentencing of convict Sanjeev Nanda, the prime accused in the 1999 BMW hit-and-run case.
On Tuesday, Nanda and three others were found guilty of killing six persons, including three constables.
Nanda was found guilty under the Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), dealing with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The law prescribes ten years imprisonment in such instances.
The court also convicted three others, including the head of General Motor Finance Rajiv Gupta and his two servants Bhola Nath and Shyam Singh, for destroying evidence. They had washed the blood stains and victims” flesh pieces from the offending vehicle at a house in the citys Golf Links area here.
Manik Kapoor, a friend of Nanda, who was in the vehicle at the time of the accident, was acquitted.
Nanda has been tried under various provisions of the IPC, including section 304 part-II (culpable homicide not amounting to murder).
Earlier, another co-accused, Sidhartha Gupta, son of Rajiv Gupta, accused by the police of being present in the car at the time of the accident, was discharged by the Delhi High Court. (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
- Sanjiv Nandas quantum of sentence today - Sep 03, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Nanda lawyer urges light punishment in BMW case - Aug 29, 2008
- Court relied on circumstantial evidence to nail Nanda - Sep 02, 2008
- Verdict in BMW hit-and-run case to be pronounced today - Sep 02, 2008
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Court to pronounce order Sep 2 in BMW hit-and-run - Aug 26, 2008
- Sanjeev Nanda guilty of killing six under BMW, sentencing Wednesday (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2008