BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda’s fate todayJuly 20th, 2009 - 12:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 20 (ANI): The Delhi High Court will give its verdict on Monday in the BMW hit-and-run case in which trial court had convicted and sentenced Sanjeev Nanda, to five years imprisonment.
Justice Kailash Gambhir, who had reserved the judgment in May, would pass the verdict on petitions filed by three convicts, including Nanda.
Besides Nanda, the court had also convicted Rajiv Gupta and Bhola Nath and sentenced them to one year and six months in jail, respectively for destruction of evidence.
Challenging his conviction in the case, Nanda argued that the trial court had convicted him under media pressure.
The court convicted Nanda under the Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), dealing with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The law prescribes ten years imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The ten-year-old case involving Nanda, allegedly in an inebriated state is accused of mowing down seven people with his high speeding BMW car in the wee hours of January 10, 1999 in Lodhi Colony area. Six persons died on the spot while one survived. (ANI)
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Delhi High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009
- High Court refuses to extend Sanjeev Nanda''s interim bail - Jan 09, 2009
- High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- Delhi Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda plea - Sep 23, 2008
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court order on Nanda`s bail plea today - Oct 04, 2008
- BMW hit and run case: Delhi court rejects Nanda`s bail plea - Oct 04, 2008
- Sanjiv Nandas quantum of sentence today - Sep 03, 2008
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: bhola, bmw car, conviction, convicts, culpable homicide, delhi high court, fate, gambhir, imprisonment, indian penal code, judgment, kailash, maximum punishment, nath, New Delhi, old case, petitions, rajiv gupta, trial court, wee hours