Blood donation awareness campaign launched in ChennaiSeptember 24th, 2010 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Sep 24 (ANI): The Tamil Nadu government has launched a blood donation awareness campaign to encourage the youth of the country to donate blood and save lives.
The drive is aimed at encouraging the youth of the country to donate blood so that safe blood is available for use wherever and whenever it is needed.
“We are catching the young. Most of the venues are going to be the colleges. So this creates the peer pressure among students, when his friend is giving blood, he also feels that he will donate blood. If not today next month, he will come and say I will also donate blood,” said R. Sriram, District Chairman for Blood and Organ Donation, Rotary International.
Sriram added that they are targeting 50,000 units of blood on a single day, which will save lives of at least 45,000 people.
The students who donated blood said they are proud to be part of this campaign.
“Every year we organise blood donation camps in our college premises. It is for a very good cause and we are very proud to donate blood. It saves so many people’s life and all of us are proud to be part of this blood donation camp. Hope, it continues every year so that we can save many more lives.” said Sopundaraya, a student.
About 6,32,000 people donated blood last year, out of which 5,81,000 people did it voluntarily.
The State Government is in the process of creating a Metropolitan Blood Bank at a cost of Rs. Four Billion as part of its move to increase the number of donors and for proper storage of collected blood.
A total of 258 blood banks are functioning in the state, out of which 83 are run by the state government, 14 by the central government and the remaining 181 by private organisations. (ANI)
- People participate in blood donation awareness rally in New Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- In Tripura, blood donation is a movement (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 14, 2010
- Summer brings drought of blood donors: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 13, 2010
- Voluntary blood donation low in Kerala, say experts - Jun 13, 2010
- Soon, a national e-blood bank service - May 08, 2012
- Summer vacations bring drought in blood banks: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donor Day) - Jun 14, 2012
- Voluntary blood donation increases in Haryana - Jun 14, 2011
- UAE finance ministry officials donate blood - May 17, 2011
- 'Probe blood wastage by Himachal medical college' - Oct 26, 2010
- Signal Corps holds blood donation camp - Feb 09, 2011
- Open-minded' college students largest sperm donors in China - Mar 21, 2011
- Blood donation will narrow caste divide: Azad - May 06, 2011
- Delhi students clean up Yamuna ahead of CWG (With Image) - Aug 22, 2010
- Varied background, one aim: Nation-building through teaching - Sep 05, 2011
- Haryana's Sirsa sets record with 545 blood donation camps - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: awareness campaign, blood bank, blood banks, blood donation camp, camp hope, central government, colleges, district chairman, donors, giving blood, organ donation, peer pressure, premises, proper storage, rotary international, safe blood, single day, sriram, state government, tamil nadu government