Black money case: SC extends Hasan Ali’s custodyMarch 21st, 2011 - 10:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 21 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday extended the custody of Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali, who is alleged to have stashed away over eight billion dollars in Swiss banks, with the Enforcement Directorate (ED) by three more days.
The apex court had on Thursday granted a four-day custody of Hasan Ali to the probe agency.
The Enforcement Directorate had earlier on Thursday approached the apex court challenging the refusal of its plea against Hasan Ali.
The apex court bench had earlier reproached the Centre for failing to subject Khan and other alleged money launderers to custodial interrogation.
In pursuant of the apex court’s direction, the ED had moved a remand application before the court of Principal Sessions Judge M L Tahaliyani on March 11, which, however, rejected the Directorate’s plea on the ground that the agency could not gather sufficient material in justification of its plea.
While rejecting the ED’s remand application, judge Tahaliyani had observed that had it had failed to back its charges in a money laundering case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
“No material evidence has been presented by the ED that shows any scheduled offence has been committed by Khan,” Tahaliyani had observed, ordering that Khan be enlarged on conditional bail.
The court granted him bail for Rs 80,000 and two sureties. The court refused to stay the order for ED to file an appeal in the higher court.
Ali, who also has been accused of forging documents to acquire multiple passports, was arrested on Monday night by the Enforcement Directorate in Mumbai under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
The Income Tax Tribunal had on March 4 issued a showcause notice to Hasan Ali. (ANI)
- Black money case: Hasan Ali sent to judicial custody till April 8 - Mar 25, 2011
- Black money case: Hasan Ali in ED custody for four more days - Mar 17, 2011
- Black money case: ED moves Supreme Court seeking Hasan Ali's remand - Mar 17, 2011
- Black money trail: Hasan Ali to appear before ED today - Mar 13, 2011
- Black money case: Mumbai court grants conditional bail to Hasan Ali - Mar 11, 2011
- Hasan Ali Khan's custody extended - Mar 21, 2011
- Hasan Ali Khan granted bail; court slams Enforcement Directorate (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Hasan Ali's bail, orders ED custody (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Mumbai court pulls up ED in Hasan Ali case - Mar 09, 2011
- Hasan Ali granted bail, collapses in courtroom - Aug 12, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: Mumbai court adjourns hearing till tomorrow - Mar 10, 2011
- Enforcement Directorate raids residence of Hasan Ali's accountant - Mar 23, 2011
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till May 7 - Apr 26, 2011
- Hasan Ali Khan gets bail (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hasan Ali surrenders before ED (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, billion dollars, black money, case sc, court bench, custodial interrogation, enforcement directorate, hasan ali, march 11, material evidence, money launderers, money laundering act, offence, passports, plea, stud farm, sureties, swiss banks, tax tribunal