BJP’s flag hoisting plan provocative: CongressJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 22 (IANS) Two Jammu and Kashmir ministers from the Congress Saturday condemned Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) “ekta yatra” (march) and plan to hoist the national flag at Lal Chowk in Srinagar on Republic Day Jan 26 as a “provocative act”.”This is a provocative act,” said Technical Education, Youth Services and Sports Minister R.S. Chib, while talking to media on the sidelines of a function at Ranbirsinghpora, a border town about 30 km from Jammu.
He justified National Conference (NC) leader and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s tough action against the BJP.
Six BJP activists were arrested in Srinagar Saturday. Police have started arresting BJP activists carrying national flags or any material related to the march.
The NC and the Congress are partners in the state government.
Chib was speaking on BJP’s “Rashtriya Ekta Yatra” which is scheduled to enter Jammu and Kashmir Monday and unfurl the national flag in Srinagar.
“The BJP’s yatra will provoke the people in Kashmir and that can deteriorate the situation in the Valley,” Chib said.
Chib’s party and cabinet colleague, Health Minister Sham Lal Sharma too lashed out at the BJP for its plan. He said that this was a “political stunt”.
Kashmiri separatists have given a call to foil the plans of the BJP. Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front has given a call for “Lal Chowk chalo” (march to Lal Chowk) to show “Kashmiris’ anger against the (BJP) yatra”.
- BJP presses ahead with Lal Chowk plans, asks Omar to join (Lead) - Jan 22, 2011
- Kashmir government mulls action against BJP yatra - Jan 13, 2011
- Omar slams BJP over flag hoisting plan at Srinagar on Republic Day - Jan 05, 2011
- Gadkari launches march to hoist national flag at Srinagar - Jan 12, 2011
- Kashmir tricolour hosting: BJP leaders released in Kathua - Jan 26, 2011
- Tricolour row: BJP activists attack J-K Finance Minister's car - Jan 26, 2011
- Yatra stopped to please separatists: BJP; flag hoisted at Madhopur (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Chidambaram compliments Omar Govt. for handling BJP's 'Ekta Yatra' tactfully - Jan 31, 2011
- BJP activists hoist national flag near Madhopur bridge - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP asks Omar to participate in Lal Chowk flag-hoisting - Jan 22, 2011
- National Conference accuses BJP of arousing communal passions - Jan 21, 2011
- Yasin Malik arrested for flag march to Lal Chowk - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP leaders taken to Punjab, released (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP Yatra crosses over to J-K, top leaders taken into custody - Jan 25, 2011
- UPA government 'surrendering' to separatists: BJP (Second Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, border town, chalo, chib, chief minister, chowk, ekta, health minister, jammu and kashmir, liberation front, national flag, national flags, nc leader, political stunt, republic day, separatists, sham lal, srinagar, yatra