BJP women’s wing holds protest at Arundhati’s houseOctober 31st, 2010 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 31 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) women wing activists Sunday marched to author-activist Arundhati Roy’s Delhi residence, protesting her remarks over Kashmir.
About 150 women workers of the BJP, led by Delhi unit chief Sikha Roy, demonstrated outside Roy’s Kautilya Marg residence in Chanakyapuri around 10.30 a.m. and shouted slogans “Take back your statement, else leave India”.
“We orgainsed a peaceful protest outside Roy’s residence. We want that she should take back her statement else police should register a complaint against her,” said Meenakshi Lekhi, a BJP leader.
Delhi Police who received a call from Roy’s residence about the protest, however, found nobody at the place.
Roy along with Kashmiri separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani advocated azadi for Kashmir at a seminar here last week.
The government said it would take action against Geelani over his speech advocating azadi if it found that he had violated laws against preaching sedition.
Roy, at a seminar in Srinagar Sunday, went on to say that Jammu and Kashmir was never an integral part of India and that British imperialism was replaced in 1947 by Indian colonialism. Police are reportedly examining the text of her speech.
On Tuesday, the activist-writer said her speeches supporting the call for azadi were what “millions” in Kashmir say every day and were “fundamentally a call for justice”.
- Act against Roy, Geelani, demands Kashmiri Pandit group - Oct 26, 2010
- No legal action against Arundhati: Chidambaram - Nov 01, 2010
- Kashmiri Hindu activists create ruckus at Geelani seminar (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- BJP demands Geelani, Arundhati Roy's arrest - Oct 26, 2010
- Kashmiri Hindus protest against Geelani, Arundhati at seminar (Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Too much freedom of speech in India, says Farooq Abdullah - Oct 26, 2010
- Social activist files police complaint against Geelani, Arundhati Roy - Oct 29, 2010
- Delhi Police file sedition case against Arundhati, Geelani - Nov 29, 2010
- Kashmiri Pandit group files case against Geelani, Roy - Nov 01, 2010
- BJP raps government on Geelani meeting in Delhi - Oct 22, 2010
- Court notice to police on Geelani, Arundhati speeches - Nov 03, 2010
- Home Ministry gives 'go ahead' to Delhi Police to register case against Geelani - Oct 25, 2010
- Court orders police to file FIR against Geelani, Roy - Nov 27, 2010
- Book Geelani, Arundhati, says Delhi court (Second Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Book Arundhati, Geelani for anti-India speeches: Delhi Court (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: arundhati roy, author activist, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp women, british imperialism, chanakyapuri, colonialism, delhi police, geelani, jammu, kashmir, oct 31, peaceful protest, sedition, separatist leader, slogans, srinagar, unit chief, women workers