BJP urges Pakistan Govt. to ensure safety of minorities in Taliban areasMay 4th, 2009 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 4 (ANI): An Indian delegation on Monday met Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik over their concerns about the safety of minorities in Taliban-ruled areas of Pakistan.
The delegation comprising members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Akali Dal met Malik who assured them of conveying their concerns to the authorities in Pakistan.
“Sikhs in some areas of Pakistan and Hindus in other are facing atrocities. Taliban has imposed ‘Jazya’. It is a violation of human rights. In modern times, taxes like ‘Jazya’ are unjust and wrong. Pakistan should take note of it. It should protect its minorities and whatever wrong doing is happening, should be stopped,” said V K Malhotra, senior BJP leader.
Members of the delegation said that they have given specific list of people to the Pakistan Government who have taken refuge in Gurudwara and asked the government to take proper action.
“What Pakistan said that trouble is there, but is not alarming. We have given them figures of how many people taken refuge in Panja Sahib Gurudwara. They have started fleeing and the Pakistan Government should take responsibility.”
The Taliban demolished at least 11 houses belonging to the Sikh community on April 30 in the Orakzai Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in Pakistan after they refused to pay ‘Jazia’.
Jazia was a tax imposed on non- Muslims for their protection during the Mughal period but continues even today in some parts. (ANI)
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- Sikhs, Hindus protest outside Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi - May 20, 2009
- Protests in Kashmir over atrocities against Sikhs in Pakistan - May 15, 2009
- SGPC, Punjab government condemn Sikh beheading in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheading of Sikh in Pakistan condemned in India (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Anti-Taliban protests rock Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - May 10, 2009
- Sikhs in Ambala protest atrocities on community in Pakistan - May 06, 2009
- Protest in Jammu demanding fair treatment for Pakistani Sikhs - May 08, 2009
- VHP, Bajrang Dal call for shutdown in Jammu - May 08, 2009
- American Sikhs approach US to ensure Pak-Sikhs' safety - Mar 03, 2010
- Sikhs in Pakistan pick up pieces of their shattered lives - Nov 01, 2010
- US Sikhs ask Obama to intervene on beheading - Feb 24, 2010
- Pakistani military plans third front against Taliban - Jan 12, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban hold peace talks - Nov 23, 2011
- SGPC, Akal Takht condemns beheading of Sikh youths by Taliban in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: akali dal, atrocities, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, gurudwara, hindus, indian delegation, malhotra, malik, minorities, mughal period, pakistan government, pakistan govt, pakistan high commissioner, sahib, sikh community, sikhs, taliban, tribal areas, violation of human rights