BJP urges govt. to take up issue of stranded pilgrims with Nepal, ChinaJune 9th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 9 (ANI): The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday urged the Central Government to take up with their Nepalese and Chinese counterparts the rescue of the stranded pilgrims to Kailash Mansarover.
According to reports, hundreds of pilgrims, who are on their way to Kailash Mansarover, have been stranded in Nepal following a road blockade near the Tibetan border.
“The pilgrims, who have gone to Kailash Mansarover via Nepal are stranded. They don’t even have food to eat and proper place to stay. According to reports, six pilgrims have even died. The visa of stranded pilgrims is limited for a short period and if we do not take any immediate actions then the pilgrims could even go to prison,” said Sushma Swaraj, senior BJP leader.
She urged the government to talk to their Chinese and Nepalese counterparts and help rescue the pilgrims as soon as possible.
On the issue of proposed Civil Services Bill, 2009, which would prevent political interference in the bureaucracy, Swaraj said that her party would take a decision after talking to all the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Chief Ministers of the states.
“Another issue that has come to the fore about the intention of the UPA Government is about the IAS and IPS officers. We have decided that we will thoroughly analyse the Bill and after discussing it with all the NDA state Chief Ministers, the party will take its decision,” she said. (ANI)
- Swaraj asks Shinde to evacuate pilgrims from Uttarakhand - Aug 07, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Lokpal bill in parliament Thursday, Sonia says she will fight for it (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Standoff continues, PM says anything can happen - Aug 24, 2011
- NDA leaders meet on Lokpal bill - Jul 02, 2011
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- BJP rules out backing Mukherjee in presidential polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Ready to vote in favour of Anna's three demands: BJP - Aug 27, 2011
- Congress slams BJP for not taking stand on Lokpal Bill - Jul 01, 2011
- BJP to propose amendments in Lokpal bill - Dec 13, 2011
- Summon special session for Lokpal bill: Shanta Kumar - Apr 08, 2011
- NDA to discuss Mukherjee's candidature: BJP - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bureaucracy, central government, chief ministers, chinese counterparts, intention, ips officers, kailash mansarover, national democratic alliance, nepal, nepalese, New Delhi, pilgrims, political interference, road blockade, short period, state chief, tibetan border, visa